February 25, 2015

Respect

During the last couple of nights (it could have been more), I fell asleep before Yuri did. I was always exhausted for some reason. If I didn't know better, I would have thought I was pregnant. Haha!

Last night was an exemption. You see, I found myself a little involved in an "indirect altercation" between two former schoolmates from UP. One, also a mother, is an acquaintance, while the other I am not very familiar with. I wasn't able to sleep right away because the scuffle got me thinking.

It started when the latter posted an angsty status regarding parents, which may or may not have been offensive, depending on whom you talk to. The other party, my acquaintance, wrote a reaction to that status. Several comments were made, and a sorority sister of mine commented that the original post would offend any mom. I guess the specific details are not necessary here. The point is that they disagreed and I took a side because I was disappointed with the show of behavior.
Source: http://www.inedc.com/

This made me think of some things such as how common it is now to disrespect other people. To be fair, I'm referring not only to the one who wrote the offensive status but also to the ones who wrote personal attacks as comments (I tried my best not to do it, but if someone says my comments were also personal attacks, I apologize). I think this is because everything's being done online.

It's so easy to hurt people because you don't see them as people but just names with thumbnail photos attached. It's also easier to attack people because you only have to write behind each other's backs; no confrontation needed.

I guess I also learned from that experience. I commend my mommy acquaintance for taking down her reaction because it shows humility. I need to learn that, too, because when I get reactive, it often becomes a matter of pride and being right just for the sake of being right. And yes, sometimes, being quiet - and staying quiet - is the best thing to do.

This scuffle also reminds me of all the times something I wrote caused virtual strangers to personally attack me and my beliefs. Again, it's an online thing. It's easy to make an attack behind a glowing screen rather than in person.

I know that freedom of speech shouldn't favor anyone, so if I can write about anything, they should be able to say anything they want, right? Wrong, because your right ends the moment it steps on the rights of others.

Blogging about something in a personal venue using gentle words and logical reasons doesn't, in my opinion, step on anyone's rights. But a hurtful comment does.

Suffice to say, I think my acquaintance might have been a bit reactive and emotional in her reaction (redundant), but I'm sure she already realized that.

Conversely, I still stand by my belief that the original post, though it might have conveyed the poster's feelings, stepped on the feelings and beliefs of other people. Come to think of it, he actually had a point. A relevant point. But he didn't have to curse and insult to deliver the message. Simple.

At the very least, this is only my opinion, and, at the end of the day, it doesn't always matter. If you feel I was offensive, just call me out.

Have you personally been disrespected online? On social media or in your very blogs?


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...