December 17, 2012

My Grown-up Christmas List

Image from http://waitingforourblessedhope.blogspot.com
A couple of weeks ago, typhoon Pablo devastated a lot of us in Mindanao. I can't help but think that the storm missed J and I by a narrow inch. See, I live in Davao City, which is just around 2 hours from DavOr and ComVal. But the only effect of the storm on us was the 2-hour power outage and the 2-days internet disconnection.

On the other hand, J, who resides in Surigao del Sur, is safe and sound. What's weird is that the entire province was placed under state of calamity. So many people lost their homes and livelihood in Surigao del Sur, too. But the town where J works, as well as his hometown where his family lives, were spared. They are two different places, miles away from each other, and devastation was felt in the towns between them, but the two towns were barely touched by the storm.

Amazing? Maybe. But God is faithful. I prayed really hard from the moment they announced a typhoon is coming to the country. I prayed hard for God to spare J, Y, and me, and both our families and loved ones. I was reminded how powerful a prayer can be.

One post ago, I wrote something that is very materialistic. I'm really a sucker for holidays and gift-giving, so I won't take my post back. But aside from giving and shopping, there are a lot more things I'd rather see and have - and will attain by praying. These will comprise my grown-up Christmas list.

5. Good (and better) relationship with my boys

I am so much in love with Y. Well, can you blame me? The boy has the charisma of his dad! Haha, no seriously, if you're a mom with a firstborn son, I think you can relate with me. Boys, they say, are much closer with their moms (bwahahaha!). On the other hand, my relationship with J is getting stronger and more mature - especially with Y, now. But we have our funny moments, too, and they keep the relationship interesting. Chos! So frankly, I could not ask for anything else, just for everything to grow and to be better.

4. Job and stability

I am very thankful for having a job that doesn't require me to be away from my son. As a new mom, I was able to witness all of Y's firsts - first smile, first laugh, first rollover, first sit-up, first attempt to crawl and even first fall (my bad!) - and nothing can ever replace the experience. Aside from that, my job allows me to buy not just our needs but also our wants. I can only pray that J will have his dream job, too. He earns enough, but if it requires him to be away from us, then it's not the one for us.

3. Renewed relationship with God

I once had a beautiful relationship with God. I belonged with (not "to") a church who felt like family. But I was unfaithful and wanted to be "free." Long story. Now that I'm a mom and look forward to having my own family, I pray that I can renew that beautiful relationship. I also hope to belong with the Christian church again. So why can't I do it now? Sadly, I still live with my parents, who are vehemently against it.

2. Hope for the devastated

First, there's Pablo, and now, there's the Connecticut shooting. And there are a lot of devastation in between that we don't see (because they are not in the media). I can only pray that the ones left behind can still find a reason to smile and be hopeful for the future.

1. A complete family

J and I have undergone many challenges, too many I sometimes think, but we have been faithful. The one thing that would make me really happy is for us to be together with Y. By then, surely, I will be the happiest woman - and mom - on earth.


By the way, Y fell from our bed last night. My little boy fell face-down to the floor while I was sleeping. I think he woke up, crawled to the bed's edge, and tried to stand up. Poor boy! Everyone ran upstairs because the "bang!" was loud! And Y kept crying then. Now, all's well already, but I have a nagging thought in my head the entire morning. I realized I just drifted off last night and forgot to pray - I usually pray over Y each night for protection. Of course, I'm not saying God made Y fall to punish me - it doesn't work like that. But it looks like I needed a little rough shaking to wake me up. Pray, child! 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...