November 9, 2013

Hitting the Storm's Eye

I haven't seen news updates about Yolanda because our cable signal has been out since last night. It only came back around 8:30 this morning, and there weren't any relevant news programs to see. I didn't know that Yolanda is now considered the world's most powerful storm.

You see, my mother left last night for a business trip in Baguio and Manila. To tell you the truth, we didn't feel the storm here in Davao City because it was sunny here. Also, their flight wasn't cancelled, so I thought Yolanda was not as harmful as she was projected.

Because of that, I honestly thought the super-typhoon just breezed (pun not intended) its way through the country without casualties, so imagine my shock when I read this article. I felt especially down when I read that one of the casualties was a 2-year old baby from Zamboanga City who got struck with lightning. Heartwrenching.

However, this photo has been circulating around my social media feeds:
Photo: http://peepread.com/

The moment I read this comment, I was deeply touched. Why? Because it's true! This typhoon is certainly stronger than the other typhoons/hurricanes, but somehow, I know we'll get through it. I know this comment, no matter how heartfelt it is, won't bring back the lost lives. However, I am happy because strength and resilience is becoming a symbol of the Filipino character.

Filipinos must be one of the most misunderstood people, don't you think? That's why I have a huge feeling that this commenter must (a) be a Filipino, (b), have Filipino blood, or (c), lived with Filipinos. It's so nice to hear something positive about our people for a change. No matter what the reason is, his comment hit the bull's eye. Maybe even the storm's eye.

_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...