November 16, 2013

What Yuri Used for His Eczema

I was checking the "Pending" folder in my "Blog" files (yes, I have folders for different categories, subfolders for the actual entries, and a folder for yet-unpublished blog posts AKA "pending") when I saw one folder that I created over a year ago.

Repeat after me: over a year ago.

The photos were so old that they still contained watermarks of my old Wordpress blog. Ganun ka-luma. Anyway, when Yuri kasi was still a few months old, he had eczema. I think he had it worst when he was around 4-5 months.

Here's the only photo I can find with a flare-up on his face (we don't usually take photos of him when he has a flare-up because alam mo na):


Yuri was still so little and so chubby here! Pero kawawa because that rash on his cheek made him so irritated. And you know what? Mild lang yung case na yan. Maraming times that he got rashes all over his face! :-(

I'm pretty sure eczema doesn't go away, but after using these products, the red rashes on his skin disappeared kaagad. Here are the products Yuri used to cure his eczema:

Our pedia gave us this sample of Cortizan cream, and later on, I bought a bigger tube. This cream works like magic. Every time Yuri has a flare-up, pag nilagyan ko nito, nawawala agad!

Bonus: This cream also works so well as a diaper rash ointment. Yuri rarely has diaper rash, but I had the habit of packing a tube of Cortizan in my diaper bag just in case.

A tube of Cortizan cream costs around P165 for a 5-gram tube.

Our pedia also gave us a sample of Oilatum bar. Come to think of it, almost lahat ng pharmaceutical needs ni Yuri when he was little was given to us by his pedia. Thanks, doc! Anyway, this bar is used when taking a bath. Like Cortizan, Oilatum is also very effective in minimizing rashes. I think it also coats the skin to protect it (don't quote me on that; hindi ako sure).

I never had to buy another bar of Oilatum because hanggang ngayon, hindi pa rin sya nauubos. I don't know if matagal lang talaga sya maubos or ang tipid ko lang gumamit. Haha! Anyway, hindi na kasi bumalik ang flare-ups ni Yuri, so I didn't find a reason to use it.

A bar of Oilatum costs around P350 for a 100-gram bar.

See, yung old blog ko pa ang naka-watermark? Obviously, I have never gotten around to blogging about these products, but I think blogging about it now (after 15 months!) will still be a great help to those with babies with eczema.

Plus usually, I would just bathe Yuri in warm water plus a bar of Oilatum. However, occasionally, I would also use Lactacyd Baby Bath (he was 4-5 months old pa ha) para may bango naman ng konti. Back then, I would refrain from using Johnson's products because they make him flare up, pero ngayon, we're using Johnson's baby bath na.

If your baby has eczema, don't fret because there are a lot of products you can use to treat it (or, at least, make the rashes disappear). I don't have any idea of organic products you can use because I wasn't a big organic buff last year. Also, you should always seek your pediatrician's opinion first in case hindi naman talaga eczema yan; there are a lot of reasons why babies should have rashes, so research muna!

PS: I think eczema runs on our side of the family because (one) I had rashes on my arms for as long as I remember and (two) Maricel Laxa-Pangilinan endorses Elica, saying that her daughter has eczema rin.

_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...