December 20, 2013

Frugal Friday: Cloth Diapering My Toddler!

This was supposed to be a Finance Friday article, but I realized that for the past weeks, I haven't been talking about finances really. I've been talking about frugality, so I titled this post "Frugal Friday." Why not? We're flexible around here!
So one of my biggest regrets was not cloth diapering Yuri as an infant. There were just too many reasons. First, I'm working full-time. Cloth diapering (full-time) requires a lot of washing, and none of us could do it. I could not delegate the washing to Yuri's yaya because no one could watch Yuri na din. While she washes Yuri's clothes regularly, they are done on certain days of the week lang, not various times during the day.

Second, Yuri is a breastfed baby. When he was an infant, his pooping was very frequent and very irregular. I thought we could not deal with constant diaper changes - unlike disposable diapers which we only need to throw away.

When Yuri's bathroom habits are becoming more regulated (he only poops during mealtimes and only seated in his high chair - I don't know why!), and his peeing are becoming less frequent (I think he pees 4-5 times throughout the day despite his high water intake), I was beginning to entertain the idea of cloth diapering. Yes, ang late lang.

You see, Yuri only wears cotton briefs in the morning. No diapers. His naptime is after lunch, so before eating our lunch, I change him into diapers. Lo and behold, while eating lunch, he poops in his barely used diaper. Wala man lang ihi. It was becoming a habit, and we are getting to throw too many barely used diapers that I thought: kailangan na namin mag-cloth diapers. Yes, at 20 months. Better late than never!

I was about to buy cloth diapers weeks ago but delayed it. That was a blessing in the sky (disguise - just in case you don't get the joke!) because I chanced upon Thrifty Mama Shoppe's ultimate cloth diaper sale. ZOMG! I quickly browsed the albums, and since I wasn't very well-versed on cloth-diapering, I just bought 3 Alva diapers muna. Here are some photos of the unboxing (chos, unboxing talaga!):
Three cloth diapers (without inserts in the photo)

Cute designs! Now I understand why a lot of moms are addicted to CDs!
Microfiber insert in close-up (The microfiber inserts go with the diapers; I got three more bamboo inserts.)
The pocket in the backside of the cloth diaper
Inserting the insert. Ano daw? :D
While I was taking photos, the toddler was pulling out wipe after wipe after wipe.

Ready for your bum!
Freshly bathed and freshly cloth-diapered!

We're only on our second day of cloth diapering, but I'm loving it already. Actually, I have loved it since yesterday! I thought the learning curve would be steep, so I'm pretty surprised that cloth diapers pala are so easy to use. I actually look forward to cloth-diapering Yuri! Today's the last day of the sale, so I'm panicking! I need to buy more! (Good luck to me!)

By the way, I was confident to buy Yuri regular-sized diapers - meaning not the extra-large ones. This is because Yuri is slim for his age. If you are also planning to cloth diaper a chunky toddler, it would be safest to go for the extra-large diapers. :-)

_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...