January 22, 2014

Oplan Balik Alindog / Paandar 2014

Most, if not all, New Year's resolutions include losing weight. Mine usually did except for two years: the year when I was about to give birth (2012) and the year before Yuri turned 1 (2013).

The first year was a no-brainer because I was about to pop. Losing weight was the farthest thing from my mind. In fact, if I remember it correctly, that was the month I was beginning to gain a lot of weight due to pregnancy. I was 7 months pregnant then, and before that, I think I only gained around 15 pounds. By my 7th month, tuloy-tuloy na ang pag-gain.

On the other hand, the second year was a Godsend for me. I honestly thought I won't lose all the pregnancy weight because I've been fat chubby all my life. To my surprise, I did not only lose weight but also went back to my highschool weight. All thanks to breastfeeding! What a God-designed wonder.

So I felt smug. I could eat like a construction worker and not gain a pound - at all! I even lost pounds just by lying or sitting down and feeding Yuri. Here's a photo; I think Yuri was 8 months here:

Pardon the kagigising-lang-face. Just look at those arms.

I weighed just a little over 50 kilos then, which was a lot less than my pre-pregnancy weight. It may be heavy for some people, but I certainly felt lightest! That time was heaven because I was losing even more weight each month for the first year of Yuri's life. I was even scared I'd go too thin so I ate a lot. Ong yobong yobong.

Until one day, I hit a plateau. I didn't lose weight anymore. I thought to myself, okay, let's just keep it steady at 50 kilos. I know the reason I wasn't losing weight anymore was that Yuri was eating table foods already. Still, I didn't make any conscious lifestyle changes. I still didn't lessen my food intake nor did I do decent exercise. I tried to depend on what was left of my breastfeeding to keep me from gaining too much, which I thought was fine.

Isang araw, nagising nalang ako sa katotohanan.

The past year, I knew I was fatter than I was the year before, but I wasn't bothered. Okay, I might have been in denial. As long as my clothes still fit me, I was still fine.

A few weeks ago, Yuri and I went to his pedia to have his last shot. The secretary had to get his weight. Since Yuri wasn't cooperating, what we did was we were both weighed first then I was weighed, and the results were subtracted. Alas, I already weighed 56 kilos!
Uh-oh.

What troubled me was that my pre-pregnancy weight was 62 kilos. I'm so near to achieving that weight again, which I don't like! Also, Job only weighs 58 kilos, so no no no no way! So just very recently, nagising ako sa katotohanan that breastfeeding just isn't cutting it for me anymore. Gone are the perfect days; now, it's time to work it.

The gameplan: Count calories and exercise daily.


As much as I would like to tell you that I'm already exercising, hindi pa eh. I'm still in a stressful transitional point regarding work and not in my working momentum yet. I need to adjust myself to a proper schedule pa before I can seriously exercise. I do try to squeeze in some informal moves, though.

What I'm doing now is counting my calorie intake. As a breastfeeding-toddler-WAHM, I couldn't afford to diet. Nor do I have time for juicing (although I'm really curious). What I can do now is count my daily calorie intake, which works because I become aware of what I eat.

How it works? I downloaded an app to my phone. Any app would do, I guess, but I chose one that has an offline food database. I don't have the patience to wait for a list of foods to load. I wanted to lose weight just gradually, and the program recommended I take 1200 calories daily. Take note that this is based on my height, weight, and other information.

This was my first setting, but I tweaked it because I know it's unhealthy for a breastfeeding mom.

During the first day, I was shocked because I could easily eat over 2000 calories a day! I wasn't kidding when I told you I eat like a laborer. By tracking my calories, I am able to be conscious of my food intake. For example, in the afternoon, I would usually eat a chocolate bar for a snack. Because now I'm sort of "accountable" for my food intake, I would reach out for a banana instead as it has lower calories.

I guess calorie counting is effective for me because of my competitive personality. I always see to it to eat lower calories than I did yesterday. Of course, my level of control is still low, so I really need to exercise. Here's a photo from Bianca Gonzalez's Instagram account:
"Today I learned a workout na kahit walang gym or equipment, pwede pa din! 4 minutes lang but can burn up to 600 calories!! Thanks to Coach Jim Saret of #BiggestLoserPinoyEdition. He says: 10 reps jumping jacks, 10 reps squats, 10 reps push ups, 10 reps lunges. Repeat all, over and over for 4 minutes and that's it! No need to pay for a gym or trainer, no excuses! #proudlykuripot #fitness #hingal #janefondamoment #DoMore" (From @iamsuperbianca)

Doable? I hope so! I hope to be able to lose weight this year. More importantly, I hope I adopt a better lifestyle for the long-term. Cheers to a healthier lifestyle this 2014!

I intentionally posed in front of a frosted mirror para blurred. The point is that I'm fatter now!
1 Corinthians 6:19-20
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...