June 4, 2014

What I Want for my Birthday

I'm an old soul.

This Saturday, I'll be 24, but to tell you the truth, I feel much much older. Not physically (thank God!) but emotionally and mentally and, maybe, spiritually, too. And I attribute this not to motherhood.
My 2-year old made this "cake" for me. It was modeled after his own car-themed birthday cake. He said "Pi burtday to you!"

Let me tell you a secret: 

Ever since I started school, when I was around 5 or 6 years old, I already felt much older than my classmates. Ironically, I was always one year younger than all of my classmates all throughout my academic "career," but it didn't feel that way. Somehow, I just felt more mature than they were. And many can attest to that. In fact, when I was in first grade, I felt happier to be around with my friends' moms than with them.

I have the feeling that being an old soul was one of the things that helped me cope with motherhood so easily!

I am thankful, though, that to strike the balance, I also have a young heart. Win-win, right?

So this year, I'm turning 24. Still very young, but I love to think I am more mature than the rest of my peers. After all, I'm mothering a 2-year old! I guess this old soul of mine has also affected the things that I want to attain in my life.

I think I got into the phase of being materialistic for only a short while in my life - that was when I started being a working student back in college. Today, while material things give me temporary joy, I aim to have "higher" standards of happiness. For my 24th year, these are some of what I hope to achieve with God's grace and in his divine timing:



Stronger and lovelier relationships

I mean all close relationships I have: with my family, with dearest friends, with Yuri, and with Job. I have not one relationship that is perfect because each of them is filled with conflicts. Yes, my relationship with Yuri.

But I am proud that in each and every one of these relationships, I can truly say that the conflicts are only hurdles and even speed bumps. Not one of these conflicts has ever threatened to end any one of these relationships. And I want them to stay that way and even stronger (especially my relationship with Job!).
Image from http://www.society6.com

Financial Independence

Early last year, I aimed to be financially independent by the time I turn 25. Now that I'm almost 24, let's just say that the pressure is on!
Image from Pinterest

In fairness, thanks to God, I have not been severely indebted. Save for mortgage and the inevitable bills, I am not paying for anything right now. That's partly because I haven't bought anything expensive that I know I couldn't afford and partly because Job is a strict accountability partner.

Still, I am far from being financially independent. My emergency fund is depleted, and I don't have a retirement fund yet. I pray I'd be able to begin saving up enough for these funds.

Betterment in my work

To be completely honest with you, I can't see myself working in 5 or 10 years down the road. There are a couple of things I'd love to do: be a full-time mother to my child/ren and manage a business along with my husband.
Image from Pinterest

However, I'm very grateful for my job because it fits the current season of my life perfectly. I can't complain about anything about it. Because of that, I strive to be a better essay instructor not only to achieve higher evaluation scores but also, more importantly, to truly help the students write better.

A direction-driven blog

I started this blog almost two years ago though I didn't seriously do it until last year. As a WAHM, I'm grateful to have the option of releasing my inner thoughts and get some real conversation through blogging.

But I discovered that it takes time to find your real voice in blogging. It's easy to write but it's hard to write with a meaningful direction. This time, I seek to discover my purpose and re-brand my blog to focus on this particular intention.

And a deeper and more meaningful personal relationship with the Lord

Some people think it's quite obnoxious of Christians to "own" their relationship with God as something personal. I beg to disagree. I think they're referring to the exclusion principle where anyone outside this "personal relationship" is not worthy of God's attention.

This can't be farther from the truth.

On the contrary, I'd love to think of it as the "inclusion principle" where anybody, despite the race, despite the sex, despite the social status, can develop a personal relationship with God.

Image from temporaryvisitors.wordpress.com

In line with this, Job and I minimized our communication to grow in our personal relationships with the Lord. We've never made a better decision. Well, we were only following God's orders, so what do you expect, right?

Anyway, Job has been growing wonderfully by reading the Bible everyday, praying every moment, and by being a more active member of the church. He now sings at church, too. Meanwhile, I'm not rooted to any church and I do not always have a prayerful attitude. Honestly, I find that I still have a short temper and an impatient spirit!

I don't mean to compare, but I really want to follow Job's example to be a better Christian. I can see that he's growing beautifully in the Lord. I know I'll be able to do the same with the Holy Spirit's help!

Bonus: Beautiful and useful trinkets worth keeping

You think I don't like material stuff? Who am I kidding? As much as possible, I avoid obsessing over material things because they get me nowhere. However, I would be lying if I say I don't appreciate them because I also need them!

We'll be owning a house a few years from now, and I have already started looking for things I can place in it. I want to be minimalist and intentional, though, so I don't intend to accumulate stuff. This calls for useful things that are not only beautiful but also durable!

For example, I want to buy more mason jar because they are not only useful but also pretty. They are strong, too, and affordable. I won't say no to mason jars! *hint hint*

A photo-book would be nice, too! Just kidding, we'll buy our own hehe.

So that concludes my "wish list" not for my 24th birthday but for my 24th year and beyond. Did I forget anything else? I hope I did not!

Oh, and here's Job's advanced birthday verse for me:
Image from Pinterest

Thank you, Lord, for the year you're adding to my life and thank you for all the new things I have yet to see and experience. I'm truly excited to see your plans unfold!


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...