October 13, 2014

The Snubbed Blogger and Other Stories

My Sunday was a mixture of ups and downs, but thankfully, there were more good things than bad things. But before I talk about it, here's what we wore (hahaha):
Doesn't he look like a fashion blogger? What happened to my 2-year old?
On Mommy: Zara tunic | F21 jeans | CLN shoes
On Baby: Carters shirt | Baby Mossimo jeans | Elle/Chicco shoes

Yes I need to lose weight. Now, about our Sunday, there was only one bad thing, but it almost ruined my day. It was because I was a...

THE SNUBBED BLOGGER

A month ago, I was invited to attend this particular event of a huge company. I said yes. I was even required to wrote a pre-event post as a "partner blogger," the PR person's words, to invite participants.

The venue was an hour away from home. Since we had to go to church first, we had to wake up extra early. Also, we had to plan our day around this event so there were many changes in our usual, comfortable Sunday routine.

To say the event was a disappointment is an understatement.

I decided not to talk about the fiasco in detail (yet!), but here's the gist: nobody seemed to understand why a blogger was there, nobody attended to me or at least oriented me and told me what to do. The event started late, but I finished the program nonetheless. After that, I walked away with literally nothing - beyond the lack of the usually necessary press kit, what bothered me the most was the lack of an extension of gratitude when I politely excused myself after the program ended. No "thanks for your presence" or "thanks for your time." As in I was only told "okay good bye" as I exited on my own.

Okay lang naman sana yung walang kit eh. I attended a lot of events (even before I blogged because I used to work for a newspaper) and there are times when we don't really get the "perks" talaga. That's fine. Hindi po ako patay gutom or gahaman sa loot bag. May trabaho po ako. I like to attend events to expand my network. But in this particular event? I feel like common courtesy was already amiss from the start to the very end.

Nakakalungkot because I wasted time, money, and effort, but more than that, I feel disrespected. I couldn't help but think I was invited as "pampadagdag tao."

SO I WENT WINDOW SHOPPING INSTEAD

Since we already ate lunch before the event (in case you're wondering, I didn't eat during the event), we went grocery shopping na, which was a perfect stress reliever for me. I didn't want to spend much, so I tried to forget about the fiasco by... window-shopping for Christmas gifts!

If there was one thing good about the event, it was that it led me back to NCCC Mall, a mall we rarely visit (because it's far nga). We love the grocery here because they are so many products that are not usually available in other malls! And there are so many cool toys! In fact, I gushed about it in this post when we also hoarded from Book Sale. That time, I wasn't able to take photos, so I took as many as I can yesterday. Here are the kid's stuff that caught me attention (and ended on my Christmas shopping list):
Chairs and tables
Mini-kitchen - why should it be pink?!
An easel (around Php 7,700)
A big ship!!!
What's in the Cat's Hat?
Richard Scarry's Busy Busy Airport
More board games for toddlers (Monopoly, Eric Carle's ABC, Dr. Seuss' ABC, Chutes and Ladders)
Outdoor table and chair set (around Php 10k)
Young Architect building set
Train Set (Php 2,195)

Oh diba? What I love here is that konti lang ang electronic toys nila and there are a lot more manipulatives, puzzles and open-ended toys and tools for crafts and experiments. Looove!!!

BUT APPS GET IN THE WAY

Yuri just discovered apps. Well, that is actually inaccurate because he discovered apps when he was around 18 months, but he didn't care for them. Recently, though, I made a mistake of downloading one kiddie app on my Asus phone. That caused him to begin liking playing with apps.
Image: http://digital-storytime.com/

I didn't fight against it anyomore since he's already turning 3. I did download a kid-mode app to time his use (15 minutes); however, I sorely lack good apps. I have a few good apps (which I may review soon), but it's hard to find more of them because here are my guidelines:

- good graphics and fonts
- not too loud or too busy (to avoid over-exciting Yuri)
- must be educational
- must have NO ads at all

Do you have recommendations? It's so hard to look for apps of good quality for young kids!

PS: Going back to the issue about the event, do you think I'm just being OA about it or do I have a right to get offended/ insulted? I'd love to hear your thoughts but  only if they make sense.
EDIT: I just exchanged emails with the person who invited me to the same event. She explained that she was hired to invite bloggers, but when she tried coordinating with the event organizers, she was told that they would be the ones who would contact us, etc. She trusted them. On the day of the actual event, she realized that her list of invited bloggers was not prioritized. Worse, even she had her share of bad treatment. Now, I can only feel sorry for her and the brand. :-(


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...