March 5, 2015

What I Learned from BrainFit Studio's Seminar

Last Wednesday, I attended BrainFit Studio's introductory seminar. I was excited to attend this because I have heard a lot of good things about this enrichment center. After doing some errands in the morning, including a trip to the NBI, we went to the venue, which was in Park Inn at SM Lanang. Here's what we wore:
Anyway, even after doing a couple of errands, I still arrived there early - at least earlier than most. With me were my mother and this little boy: 
My mom wanted to go, too, and I thought it was because she wanted to enroll my sister in BrainFit. Di pala. She wanted to recommend it pala to our neighbor (village president, too) and family friend whose son got diagnosed with ADHD.
While waiting, Yuri made a friend in another little child, Sophia. At first, they were not minding each other, but when the seminar began to start, they were suddenly inseparable. Or at least my son wouldn't part with her. He wouldn't even sit beside me! I wasn't able to take a photo of them because I didn't have the energy to run after them haha.

Sophia's mom told me that she found out about the seminar through my blog, but unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to get her name. (Feel free to comment if you're reading!)

Here are the things that I learned from the seminar:

(Sorry for the quality of the following photos. The room was dimly lit and my Samsung WB150F doesn't do well with dim lighting huhu.)
Ms. Khaisa King, owner of BrainFit Studio, Davao

1. The brain is not a static thing in which we have to work with how much or how big we happen to have. Instead, it can be trained much like how we can train our bodily muscles.

2. Physical exercise is vital in training the brain. (This is as important as sleep and healthy diet.) I wonder how I ever did well in school when I was young when I barely did any physical exercise. I didn't even have a sport!

3. BrainFit Studio operates relying heavily on neuroscience to improve the fitness of the brain.

4. The center doesn't just focus on improving an individual's IQ; it also aims to improve his EQ. (I know a lot of people who need to work on the latter!)

5. Brain fitness is crucial in effectively doing tasks from academic, like speed writing, to beyond academics like paying attention and good comprehension.

6. Brain plasticity or the ability to be changed can happen to people of all ages, not just kids

Ms. Jeanette Co, President of BrainFit Studio Philippines

7. Even students doing very well in school can benefit from the program. For example, Ms. Co told us about a student they had who was already the school valedictorian. After assessing her, while she did well with visual, auditory tests and the like, they found out that she needs to improve her socializing skills.

Ms. Goh Choon Kim, Expert on Education and Brain Fitness

8. I learned that thinking becomes hard when you remove some of the senses. For example, Ms. Kim, during her talk, made us lift our left leg and balance. Okay. Then she made us close our eyes. Some of us lost balance. Finally, she made us recite the multiples of 3 backward. It was hard, and this totally explains the need to train the brain!

9. I confirmed that I have difficulty processing auditory information. I admit that this is the reason why I do well with personal interviews but am averse to phone interviews. Also, while I understand almost everything during lectures, I have trouble processing information from, for example, webinars. I realized that the difficulty I have with the phone (yes, even with casual calls) and webinars may have to do with the loss of my strongest sense: vision.

10. This is just a personal judgment, so please don't think I am convincing you to do the same thing. Based on what I heard and learned from the seminar, I think it is better to enroll Yuri in a BrainFit course rather than enroll him in a preschool. Not that we consider the second option now, but I think it's better to train a child's brain so that he is able to process every piece of information well rather than feed him with academics. However, I recognize that this is a case-by-case basis and that maybe some little kids do enjoy academics.

I learned a lot of things during the seminar last week, and these are only 10 of my top realizations. We were given gift certificates, but since BrainFit Junior here in Davao will not begin until June (regular BrainFit programs will begin this month) and my sister currently has no time to attend sessions, we decided to give our certificates to our family friend. They're considering to enroll their kids in BrainFit Studio and, hopefully, we would see results especially in his son with ADHD.

Have you ever tried BrainFit Studio's programs? Tell me about it!


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...