February 13, 2015

The Story of Yuri's First Bible

We are able to buy Yuri's first Bible November pa of last year so this is a late, late post!

Anyway, we really wanted to buy Yuri his own complete Bible months before Christmas. We have Bible stories naman, some sets here and there, but we wanted to buy an age-specific complete Bible to imbibe the habit.

So last year pa, I was so busy looking for appropriate Bible. Unfortunately, the ones that are available on local online stores don't have favorable reviews on Amazon. I don't know why din, during that particular time, there weren't many early learners' Bibles in the local National Bookstores. (Ngayon marami-rami na, and that was just months ago!)

Because of that, I decided to order one from Amazon.

That was my last resort because even though stuff are generally cheaper from Amazon than locally, I didn't want to pay extra for shipping. More than that was the hassle of having to deal with more transactions.

However, I still wishlist-ed my choices. Despite the immense popularity of The Jesus Storybook, I didn't like it because it was extra-biblical. I like to be conservative and stick to those that are strictly Biblical. One of my codes was The Lion Storyteller Bible. But it's published for an older crowd (5 year olds +).
Image from Amazon

I didn't order right away because I was still weighing the options. Well, it was mainly because I was reluctant to order a book abroad.

Until one day, I found myself in Abreeza. We weren't supposed to be in Abreeza but just decided to eat lunch there because we were already hungry. I never expected to see this popup booth in the middle of the the second floor.
It's only the booth of OMF Literature, one of the best Christian bookstores and distributors in the country. Of course I needed to check.

My books

I bought a number of Christian books from the popup (book loot blogged here), but my main concern was Yuri's Bible. I made a beeline to the children's section but what I first saw were Bibles that didn't fit my criteria. And then, I went to the other side of the shelf and saw this:
Aha! Rows of The Lion Storyteller Bible! I checked the price and saw that it was only P545. A fraction of the price we could've paid had I ordered from Amazon because it's being sold for $18.33 or around P825. And we're not even counting the huge shipping fee yet!

And have I told you that was their last day at Abreeza? I really felt God moving mountains during that particular moment.

The only problem is that the book is not written specifically for preschoolers. Instead, it's for an older crowd. However, one Amazon reviewer said she used it with her 2-year old. I assume this is because of the lovely illustrations.

Also, this was not supposed to be a phonics book that Yuri can read by himself (sooner or later). Instead, even until before elementary, I believe Bibles should be read together with the parent explaining. So choosing a Bible that is "easy to read" is not very important for us because I choose to read and "storytell" to Yuri.

Lastly, I rationalized that we can save money because Yuri can use the Bible until his school-age years. Diba?

It's not very complicated to read, just to clarify. The stories are still short and sweet, but the letters can be quite small. But Yuri loves the pictures, which tell the story themselves.
I shall review this Bible in detail next time (hopefully soon!). And this is the story of Yuri's first Bible.

PS: I have my eyes set on this Bible next (for an even older age group):

Some pictures were taken by phone so sorry for the quality!

_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
s
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...