October 5, 2012

Reading List for the New Mom

Pile of books for the new mother - me!

I love to read, and when I gave birth, it is only expected that J and my mother would give me some books to read while nursing Y. (I don't have an iPad or anything similar.) These books helped me a lot, not only in passing time, but also in understanding Y, especially in his colicky days.

I'm not saying that all books offer the best solution, but you work with what you have, right? These books all offered sound advice, so I'm sharing them with you. Here they are:

This book discusses more of new media and less of parenting. As a new media student, I love it; I read it every night before I sleep. It tackles the strategies used by companies and conglomerates to target their youngest audience -- babies. Prepare for issues with Fisher-Price, Baby Einstein, etc.
It provides useful information, but it doesn't focus wholly on newborn and babies. Parents of 12-year olds can benefit from this book more. I don't have to deal with issues on sexuality yet. I guess?
This is my favorite book in the bunch. Unlike the previous book, it really focuses on how to take care of babies. Written by a nanny, it has surefire tips that a new mom can really use, such as knowing how to check whether your floor is free of things that can hurt the baby. It's also divided into four parts: 0-3 months, 4-6 months, 7-9 months, and 9-12 months, so you are sure to get tips that you really need and avoid tips that you don't need to do yet. Plus, it has chapters devoted for parents of twins and special children.
This book would be really helpful for mommies and families, in general, who are committed to living an environment-friendly lifestyle. It has environment-friendly tips on maintaining said lifestyle even when a new addition to the family comes along. It's not my strongest advocacy, but I'm trying to live the earth-friendly lifestyle in baby steps.
We have had this magazine since my sister was a toddler. It presents some studies done on babies which show how they have more potential than we think. But I'm a bit wary on reading this book because all I can think of are babies being observed by scientists...
This is a magazine I picked up when J and I were buying baby toys in SM City Davao. (No SM Premiere yet.) It covers a lot of issues and gives a lot of tips, just like what a magazine should do.
I haven't read this book fully yet because it deals on figuring out baby's speech patterns. Since Y is already starting to babble, I think I need to read this already. And for your information, he babbles very adorably. Ada, aba, dada!
This is my other favorite. It's a really large and heavy book by Johnson & Johnson's, and also presents a complete discussion of your every concern as a new mother, which can range from proper sterilization of equipments to how to play with your baby at every age. My favorite feature is that it has pictures for everything, so you'll never go wrong on following a tip! By the way, we bought this hardbound book for only P250. Just ask me if you want to know where we bought it. :-)

There you have it: the books that kept me sane for my first months as a mother. I hope I was able to help you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...