December 9, 2012

On Pacman's Fight and Christianity

We all know that earlier today, Manny Pacquiao was defeated by his opponent, Juan Manuel Marquez. It's actually funny because I wasn't watching the fight; I was working. (Can you spell no-life Sunday?) However, I knew when exactly Pacman came down because of a collective yell of dismay, obviously from different houses, within the subdivision, which was usually quiet.

As a boxing non-fanatic, I wasn't really affected by the event. I had a few laughs though, reading the status messages of my peers in Facebook. I even posted a couple of funny (?) ones. Hehe.

But I wasn't amused when the words "God," "Christian," and "religion" began to be tossed around in the web. He was doing very well until he changed "religions."

First and foremost, at the risk of sounding as if I knew him personally, Pacman did not change religions. He doesn't even have religion now! I believe he found God and developed a personal relation with him.

Second, being godly did not cause him to "lose." No, on the contrary, I believe God wanted Pacman to win his battle by losing that game. I believe God is preparing him for a greater victory - maybe not in boxing. Who knows? God knows.

Third, perhaps it's a lesson. That money isn't everything. Fame, too!
See, God did not promise us that we'll never lose our fights. God did not say we'll win all the time. But the promise is that whether we win or lose, God is with us. And that knowledge is what keeps us strong, and maybe that's what kept Pacman's goofy smile. :-)

At the end of the day, isn't God's grace and promise the ultimate, guaranteed victory?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...