November 8, 2013

On Typhoons and Petty Problems

Background photo from sunstar.ph

I'll let you in on a secret. I've been losing sleep for several days now due to a petty problem: my lack of interaction with people - people from the outside world. I wish I was kidding, but I'm not. All I see and talk to are Yuri, my parents, my sister, and the yaya. I constantly communicate with Job, but we don't even see each other. And I think it's taking a toll on my mental health.

This week, my godson had his first birthday celebration, and I wasn't able to come because walang magbabantay kay Yuri. I can't count how many times I've used that reason to back out on an invitation. On the contrary, mabibilang lang ng isang kamay the times I've actually gone out to have fun with friends. Oh wait. That was, maybe, just a couple of times since Yuri was born.

Before you get the wrong impression, no, I'm not blaming Yuri at all. How could I? I know this sounds like such a petty problem, but it doesn't feel petty to me. How about online interaction? Well, almost never din!

However, I could not dwell on it, knowing that it is nothing compared to the problems of our Filipino brothers and sisters affected by Yolanda. To be honest, I don't know what's going on. I haven't watched the news since last night, and I'm not checking my Twitter and Facebook accounts. I'm not being insensitive; I think I'm just shutting out. What I'm doing is checking updates on how to help.

Job, who's in Surigao del Sur, told me that they've been up since 4 this morning because the wind was already howling. The entire extended family is staying in their lola's house because it's on higher ground. Meanwhile, almost all of the trees daw in their compound fell down. Coconut and banana trees within their area have been uprooted. Even their huge mango tree broke. Roofs were flying din daw. I most certainly know I cannot bother him with my petty problems.

Petty, but I haven't felt this lonely since I was a freshman in UP who knew no one - but I had classmates and dormmates. Or since I worked as a lone newspaper reporter - but back then, I was regularly seeing my spiritual family at church and I had the time of my life. Now, it's a never-ending cycle of being cooped up at home. This week, the only outside-world-interaction I had was with the 2Go deliveryman:

Who delivered this huge carton containing 126 diapers
Maybe I just need someone whom I can talk to.

(Sorry for the grammatical errors. I couldn't be bothered to proofread.)

PS: I haven't lost my mind completely yet. I am still fervently praying for this storm to leave the country without casualties and huge damages.

_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...