March 3, 2014

Fun and Frugal Finds for February

I didn't realize it was March already when I blogged last Saturday! Oh well, I think February is used to this kind of comment. So what are my discoveries for this month (mostly from the grocery) that wouldn't burn holes in your pockets?

Soyfresh Soya Milk

Bought: Gaisano Mall
Price: Around P65 for 1 Liter

Story: Some of you know that I'm unabashedly giving Yuri fresh milk (we can't all be super parents); however, I immediately stopped it when I found out cow's milk is a mean phlegm former. So I switched.

I was really looking for almond milk because I also heard soy milk contains a lot of hormones. However, when I saw the Blue Diamond brand, Almond Breeze, nanghina ako. Around P120 for only 350 ml (not even half of a liter). Err, hormones it is!

(PS: I'm planning to buy cashews to make my own cashew milk.)

Verdict: Delicious! It's not as rich as cow's milk, but it does create a nice impression of chocolate. Even Nina, Yuri's ka-age friend, liked it!

SansFluo toothpaste
Bought: Gaisano Mall
Price: P90

Story: Wala lang, kailangan lang ni Yuri ng new toothpaste. I want to try another brand and this is the most affordable option that time.

Verdict: We're still waiting for our Tiny Fangs toothpaste to run out, and we haven't used it yet.

Breakfast Choice Cereals
Bought: Gaisano Mall
Price: Crispy Rice around P65, Oat Rounds around P80 - both buy 1 take 1!

Story: I'm a sucker for buy 1-take1, and when I saw that the cereal I used to buy was on promo, I didn't hesitate. I also got two other boxes for the price of one!

Verdict: I like both cereals because they're not sweet. Yuri snacks on the Oat Rounds as is (no milk), while I like making homemade rice crispies from the rice cereal.

Good Sense Strawberry Yogurt Pretzels
Bought: Gaisano Mall
Price: P110 - buy 1 take 1!

Story: I was looking for alternative snacks for Yuri because Sky Flakes, despite its yumminess, is simply not healthy. I stumbled upon this first on the regular-priced rack but, luckily, I found some on promo. Thank you, Lord! And did I tell you I'm a sucker for buy 1-take 1?

Verdict: Wow, yummy! The strawberry yogurt coating is not so sweet; it's just the right blend of sweet and tangy. Yuri eats a lot of these in one sitting, but it's okay because they don't have much sugar.

Kablon Farms Pineapple Jam
Bought: SM Lanang Premier grocery
Price: Around P65

Story: I was also looking for homegrown organic products and learned about Kablon Farms. Situated in South Cotabato, they manufacture products straight from the local farms. I love local farms in Mindanao because, more often than not, their products are organic. So next time, before you consider imported products from Healthy Options, support local first!

Verdict: Forget about commercial, sugar-laden jams. This is simply fruit in a bottle. The organic pineapple is crushed and, I think, no artificial syrup has been added so it's basically just pineapple. Yummy and refreshing!

Del Monte Fruit Snack


Bought: SM Lanang Premier Grocery
Price: Around P20

Story: Wala lang, just in case maubusan kami ng fresh fruits

Verdict: I haven't tried it yet!

Trappist Fruit Bars
Bought: SM Lanang Premier Department Store
Price: P165 - buy 1 take 1!

Story: Oo, buy one take one again! I seriously think this is getting to be a strange habit hehe. I saw this when I was looking for snacks for Yuri. Actually, what gravitated me to these is that they are made by monks in Iligan Guimaras. Support local!

Verdict: The bars are small but they do pack in a lot of flavor! They're a lot like butterscotch brownies but not sickeningly sick; instead, they're sweet and tangy. The best part is that a bar only has around 80 calories. Say what? Perfect for sin-less stress-eating.

Milky Melon Soya Milk
Bought: SM Lanang Premier Grocery
Price: Around P30

Story: This is actually the first time I looked for a non-dairy milk replacement for Yuri. Well, kids older than 1 do not need milk, but the kid loves milk so... Anyway, soya milk was the only non-dairy milk available in SM, and I chose a small bottle for trial.

Verdict: I think the melon flavor balances out the "strange" flavor of soya. I tried it, too, and I liked it! I like soya! Seriously, though, I used to drink soya milk when I was young (chocolate flavored in a bottle) and I couldn't stomach it. I guess companies already perfected the recipe to creating acceptable soya milk. Whew!

Midori Naturals Oatmeal Lotion and Sunblock
Bought: Instagram (@belliesandbottoms)
Price: P135 for the oat lotion, P165 for the sunblock (P145 for the one with SPF 20)

Story: I noticed that Yuri's skin was getting dark. I'm not concerned about his skin color but I am concerned about skin damage. I was on the lookout for daily-use sunblock still with my "support local" mantra. Thank you Lord for making me stumble upon Midori!

Verdict: I'm using the oat lotion and Yuri's using the sunblock. I really like how both are unscented, which means no unnecessary chemicals touch our skin. I can't provide a verdict for the sunblock since its effect is intangible, but the oat lotion does well in calming my skin asthma. Plus they're very affordable! The kind seller also included samples of calendula soap. Thank you!

Salad from SM Lanang Premier's salad bar
Bought: SM Lanang Premier Grocery
Price: P210/kilo (Before you react, one bowl of salad is just a few grams. My salad only cost P35.)

Story: It's funny how working out and making an "effort" to eat more healthily are making me crave these: vegetables! My mother buys salads from SM all the time, and one Sunday, I joined her. It's really fun to pick out veggies and fruits and dressing.

Verdict: Aside from its cheapness, the dressing tastes good (I chose herb mayo). Actually, I couldn't provide an actual verdict here because the taste of your salad would depend on your choice of veggies (and your skill in choosing the freshest), sidings, and dressing. I find it very enjoyable, though! Hehe babaw.

Books
Aside from grocery finds, I also had a mini book haul last month. It included If You Give a Pig a Pancake,The Quiet Book, Ten Apples Up on Top (our first Dr. Seuss!), Today I Will Fly, and Clack, Clack, Cows that Type.

Bought: The Learning Basket

Price: Ranges from P65 - P150 per book

Camera

Finally, near the end of February, I was blessed to finally receive my new camera: Samsung WB150F. I'm in love with it! Read more about the camera here.

So these are what kept my wallet me busy last month. What are your latest fun and frugal finds? Do share!

_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...