March 12, 2014

Potty Training Yuri: The Potty

Me: Ihi ka na, Yuri?
Yuri: Ihi, yes.
Me: Sa potty?
Yuri: Ayaw
Potty talk has never been more often heard in this house than in the recent days. Yuri just turned 23 months. For some families, potty-training begins roughly around this time. For some Chinese families, potty-training begins before the child turns 1. Hehe I kid. Seriously, though, I remember a Chinese girl who posted on a Facebook group fretting because her son wasn't potty-trained yet at 13 months. 13 frigging months. Owver, tita! (I actually knew that girl...)
So anyway, back to reality. I had been contemplating on beginning to potty-train Yuri since he was 18 months. Yep, almost 6 months ago. I asked our pedia about this during a clinic visit and I told her how Yuri has been consistently doing his number 2 during mealtimes. Breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner. Yes, and/or. As in during mealtimes, when we're still seated at the table and Yuri is in his highchair. Almost no fail for more than 5 months now.

Doc commented that Yuri might already have the idea of potty-training. Wala lang sa tamang lugar because he sees the high-chair as his potty chair haha! But it's a start, right?

However, I kept on dawdling. First, Christmas and New Year passed and I already had my hands full. Next, we made the switch to cloth diapers when he was 20 months and we maximized using them. I didn't want the cloth diapers to be unused so soon!

Around last month or a little before that, I noticed that Yuri became more conscious about his "habits." We have been letting him wear briefs since he was not even a year old so he's used to them. However, now, he clearly prefers briefs over diapers (cloth or disposable). In fact, he hates wearing diapers na, but he needs to wear them, so I made a story about ants biting his patintin if he won't wear diapers. Bad mama, I know.

He also says "pupu" before doing the actual pooping and before peeing, so he's aware of the bodily functions. He can also already pee on command, which demonstrates his bladder control. He also wakes up with dry pee-less diapers on most mornings.

The bottomline is that his potty-readiness is now crystal clear. So I accepted the fact that my baby is now a little big boy, gave in, and last Sunday, finally got this:

Tah-dah! Na-disappoint kayo no? Hahaha! I want to say that I'm not a fan of cute and fancy potties. But the truth is... mahal sila! I couldn't stomach the thought of paying thousands just for something that's virtually a temporary toilet bowl.

Plus I didn't want Yuri to mistake the potty for a toy. I want it to serve its purpose. It reminds me of the potty my younger sister used, which was yellow. On the other hand, my older brother used a narra one handcrafted by our Lolo. Sayang you just don't find those anymore. And yes, I know my siblings' potty chairs but not mine.

Moving on, I just wanted the simplest and basic-est potty chair for a reason. And it's only P150. What's not to love?

As much as I would like to say our potty training journey has already successfully begun, well, as per today, the potty chair still has received nary a drop of pee. Yuri tried sitting on it without underwear (as per the photos), but he's still unsure of what to do.
On the other hand, when we're in the banyo (bathing or washing poop), he can comfortably pee on command.
Me: Yuri, ihi na.
Yuri: Ihi, yes.
(Bends knees, looks at his patintin, and we both wait. 1, 2, 3... Whooosh.)
Success!

Not in the potty, though.

But it's okay.

For crying out loud, the potty chair hasn't been here for a full three days. I don't expect Yuri to know what to do with it or be comfortable using it right away. I just want him to get used to the idea of a potty. I'm not in a hurry at all!

So it's a gradual process. To be honest, I still relish going out with Yuri without having to know where the nearest toilet is! Haha!
Always a blur, this boy is!
How about you? When did you potty-train your child/ren? How? I seriously need all the help I can get!

UPDATE!!!

Merely an hour after I published this post, Yuri took his first pee and poop in his potty! I was actually browsing for some potty-training apps when he sat on his potty and did the deeds. Wow!!! I'm praying that this is not a fluke haha!

Take note that this was not just a little poop (or a fart-poop hahaha) or a dribble of pee. It's major toilet work! He really sat on his potty and waited until everything came out from his system. There wasn't any struggle at all! #feelingoverwhelmed

I couldn't even offer any piece of advice because it just happened. Let's see in the next days!

_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...