March 13, 2014

Homemade Peanut Butter - Chocolate Granola Bars


Even if I'm such a novice in the kitchen, and even if we don't have a properly functioning oven, I still prefer making Yuri's snacks rather than buying them from the grocery. That means a lot because I love grocery-shopping. While I do have grocery-bought snacks for emergency purposes, it's quite scary buying snacks for a young toddler especially when you can't even pronounce their ingredients!

To minimize Yuri's exposure to preservatives, chemicals, unnecessary sugars, and many other stuff I don't have any idea of, I roll up my sleeves and try to search Google for recipes I can easily create.

I especially like creating granola bars because not only are they healthy (well, depending on the ingredients you use) but also require virtually no special equipment. I've been wanting to make another batch of granola bars again (our go-to snacks), so I looked for an easy recipe, which I found here. Here's my re-creation of the yummy peanut butter-chocolate granola bars.

Ingredients:
Rolled Oats (I used Bob's Red Mill 5-Grain Rolled Cereal.)
Peanut Butter (I used a local brand, Dane's. It not only is cheap but also contains just three ingredients: peanuts, sugar, and butter.)
Chocolate Chips (I used generic baking chocolate chips from the grocery.)
Milk (Soyfresh chocolate soy milk was what I had, so I used it. You can use any milk!)

Optional add-ons:
Marshmallows (I have a lot of mini-marshmallows which I planned to use to make rice crispy treats, so I added some to the granola mixture.)
Chocolate chips (Since you already have them, why don't you add more?)
Rice crispies (I still have one more box of Breakfast Choice rice crispies from last month.)
Nuts (You can use nuts, but I prefer not to use them because Yuri doesn't like nuts yet.)
Raisins I would love to use raisins; unfortunately, I forgot to buy some during my last trip to the grocery!

(I didn't have measurements because I didn't measure any of them. I just poured what "looks" right and then adjusted if the resulting mixture was too runny. You will need to create a mixture that is relatively dry, so if the mixture was too runny, I added more cereal. If it was too dry, I added more milk or peanut butter.)

Procedure:

1. Mix the peanut butter, chocolate chips, and milk. You can either melt them in the saucepan or in the microwave.
2. Melt them until you form a smooth (luscious) mixture like the one below:


3. Add the rolled oats.
4. Throw in your add-ons. Rice crispies...
4. ...marshmallows, and chocolate chips.
5. Mix them together until everything is covered with the peanut butter-chocolate mixture. Press them to form a compact mixture. Ideally, it would be pressed in a pan, but I did not want to look for one in the kitchen shelves, so I settled for a Rubbermaid container.
Tah-dah!

You can eat these granola bars (with a glass of fresh juice or milk) for an afternoon merienda,
Or eat them with a cup of fruit and yogurt for breakfast!

*I'm pretty sure it's hard to use instant or quick-cooking oats in this recipe because the result would form a mush and not a bar. 

* As much as possible, look for ingredients that don't have preservatives. 


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...