March 28, 2014

The Secret to Yuri's Smoothie

Sorry, it's Friday today but I failed to prepare a Finance Friday post! I also failed to prepare a post of any kind mainly because I was exhausted last night. After preparing for Yuri's simplest birthday celebration last Wednesday and attending my sister's graduation yesterday evening, all I wanted was a good night's sleep.

However, I want to write a post today, so let me talk about the mundane. Smoothies!

Both Yuri and I love smoothies. Every time I go grocery-shopping, I always make it a point to pick up fruits and vegetables for our smoothies. Yes, I incorporate gulay in our smoothies now. Since Yuri is not very fond of munching veggies (shame on me), I just make him drink them instead!

And it works out well since Yuri loves his smoothies. However, the problem is that the straw of his sippy cup is quite narrow, and sometimes, after a while (especially when it is refrigerated, the smoothie turns from "smooth" to "lumpy." Because of that, it is even harder to drink the smoothie.

I tried adding more liquids to the smoothie recipe: water and/or natural fruit juice. However, the result is not quite the one I want to achieve. Yes, it is easier to drink, but the taste is, I don't know, too watery, and if I use juice, too acidic.

I looked at the fridge and almost slapped my forehead when I realized I could have used this all along!
We always have soymilk in our fridge, and Yuri always drinks a cup of it every morning, but somehow (I don't know!), I never even thought of adding it to our daily smoothies. Where have you been all my la-a-a-ife? Grrr, I don't know. In the fridge?

Honestly, it's no secret. There are so many recipes that called for milk; it's just that the soymilk I had was chocolate-flavored and didn't really go well with fruits and vegetables. Now, strawberry soymilk is perfect!

So this morning, I added a cup of soymilk to our smoothie (which had half a papaya, two medium bananas, and a chunk of squash the size of my fist), and the result was a smoothie that was very creamy, easy to drink, and had the right amount of sweetness! Everybody really liked it, and my sister, who is not fond of anything remotely healthy and anything not-sweet-enough even asked for a cup. Yay! So much win!

Of course, you can use any kind of milk, but I kind of like having a hint of strawberry in my smoothies.

The best way to drink a smoothie? Outdoors. Nothing like soaking in vitamins and minerals from a cup while soaking in Vitamin D and happiness hormones from the sun!

Yes, I know I need to use a better cup for Yuri. Ang yabang ko, naka-Snapware glass bottle ako, pero si Yuri naka-plastic lang. Erased pa ang designs! I'm working on it! Hehe


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...