September 29, 2014

Catching up and Chikahan with College Friends

 Photo from Christine's camera

I was finally able to get together with some of my college friends yesterday! All of us are mostly based in Davao lang naman, but we never see each other - ever. Davao City might have a "small town" feel but I realize it's really huge because I rarely bump into my friends. The last time I saw them was March 2010!

Many say na para matuloy ang lakad, it should be unplanned. And I agree - it works, but only for people who are single. Diba? For moms like me, we need to know the schedule way abead of time so that we can plan around it. Or is it just me?

Knowing this, last month, my old roommate Hazel, and I gathered our Davao-based "superfriends" - JM,  Christine and George - for a long-overdue reunion. After postponements and various venue changes, we finally had a catching up and chikahan session yesterday.
Photo from Christine's camera

I suggested Annabelle's Cafe in Abreeza Mall for three reasons: first, it's inside a mall so we won't have to worry about possible rain, second, the place is really pretty, and third, there's a play area right inside the cafe. Perfect!
I'll be reviewing the place and the food in another post; today, I'll talk about realizations (silly and not silly) muna. Here they are:

1. I'm seriously getting fat again.

Gone are the days when I could totally depend on breastfeeding to lose weight. Earlier this year, I worked out and dieted, but I immediately fell off the wagon when the rotational brownouts started. Because who wants to diet and exercise in the summer heat with no electricity? Sadly, I conveniently "forgot" to go back to the routine when things got to normal.

But the thing about being with old, true friends is that they don't really care about your weight. Nobody among us made any weight-related comment actually (well, JM, Hazel, and I talked about pagpapayat. Christine was already super payat). I just don't buy the notion that true friends "offend" each other.

PS: I realized this when my favorite maroon cardigan is already too tight around the arms. Hirap pa naman papayatin ng arms. Huhuhu.

2. People really change after graduation.

My friends laughed when I commented that when I look at our and our classmates' current photos, I say to myself, "May pera na talaga kami." And I meant that in the most candid, non-malicious way ha! Kasi noon, in UP, it's so normal for us to go to school wearing shirts, shorts, and slippers that belong to the home and should've stayed there. Dugyot talaga. (Unlike most kolehiyalas nowadays, I noticed.)

But almost all of my batchmates now look really great; dami nang fashionista. I love looking at their updates and am amazed at the transformation from dugyot to fabulous. Thank God for jobs! Hehehe.

3. But people remain true to the core.
Hazel (Photo from Christine's camera)

I'm glad I only know a few who completely changed as in to the bones. If there was naman, usually it's change for the better. But in the case of my friends, I realize that they're the same person despite the updated looks, belongings, titles, and life stories. In fact, making chika with them brought me back to UP. Pati  persons of interest" sa chikahan, the same!
My sister (Photo from Christine's camera)

Conversely, there are some who still have the negative traits they had before. It's sad because it usually means that person still hasn't completely healed pala of his or her insecurities.

4. Not all yuppies are Apple sheep.
Not sheep! (Photo from Christine's camera)

It sounds funny but I was really relieved to see that my dalaga friends with well-paying jobs don't have the latest gadgets nor feel the need to buy them. We all agree that people who keep upgrading their device each time a company *cough Apple cough* come up with a new device barely different from the old one are mindless sheep. Nilokoko lang kayo ng Apple, I said. Harsh, I know, but it's true. Who gains in the end? The few elite. Who loses? You know the answer.

Yes I'm affected because the money these people spend each year to "upgrade" could've gone to the needy. I'm super glad my friends share the same mindset.

5. 3 hours of bonding time is bitin!
Time really flew us by yesterday and I became aware of it only when Yuri got bored with playing and wanted to go home na. Had I been still a college girl, I wouldn't have gone home until before midnight! But motherhood duties call, and I'm sure my mature and "grown-up" friends still had a lot to attend to.

So this only means a second date is in order. Saging Repablik naman next month? Heehee

6. Non-mommy friends are just as precious as mommy friends.
I don't usually go out because I'm busy working at home and being a mother. Aside from that, I feel as if I can't relate with non-mommy friends anymore. There was a time when I got anxious because I don't think I had enough mommy friends.

But this catch-up session proved me wrong! I still love my old friends and don't need a new set just because someone calls me mom now.

PS: Thank you, Tita Hazel, for the unexpected gift for Yuri! We love it! You're still as thoughtful as always!

What are your thoughts on friendship?


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...