September 26, 2014

On Shopping and Leisurely Spending

Background image: http://www.funnelove.com/

Like any other warm-blooded woman,  I adore shopping. But I also write passionately about personal finance. Can I do both at the same time?

I don't see why not.
I have heard about spending diets where you shouldn't shop for a period of time; a fellow blogger, Edelweiss, does that. I am amazed at their willpower because I simply can't stop shopping.

You see, I have come to terms with myself that I will always like shopping. Blame that on reading Clueless books in 6th grade. For me, budgeting and saving will be futile if you feel you're being deprived. I think it will just cause burn out,  which leads to quitting.

Just like in a diet where you sometimes go on cheat days, I believe it's healthy to occasionally spend on ourselves, too.

That's what I do. But if I want to be financially wise about it, I should know the right way to shop.

First, here are the things that I think shopping is not:

1. Retail therapy 

I think considering shopping as a form of therapy only justifies the desire to spend haphazardly rather than wisely because some will say it's more expensive to see a therapist.

Reality check: heartbreak heals on its own, a debt doesn't.

2. Impulse 

To avoid spending your hard-earned money on something you don't like, wait before you make a purchase. Some people sleep on it, I wait for weeks, even months. It's long enough for me to realize I don't want - or need - it anyway.

A mistake: I bought a pair of Zara sandals, which I don't use because it's not toddler-friendly.

3. Pastime 

Full confession: I've been known to buy books while waiting for someone. However, I do avoid buying something pricey or outside my budget just because I'm bored.

4. A way to keep up 

Be fair to yourself. Only buy something that you truly want. If you're only pressured to buy it to follow the trend or to impress someone, I think you'll just regret making the purchase. And the person you're impressing - or competing with - may not care at all anyway.

So what is shopping for me? Contrary to being therapeutic, I buy things for four reasons:

1. I'm happy and want to celebrate.

For example, after getting my certificate as a Certified Sales Person for Real Estate, I bought myself a new Asus Zenphone 4. Take note, though, that it was as not an expensive phone, and the last time I bought a phone was  November 2012.

2. I really like something.

Sometimes, I like something for myself, but more often than not, I like something for someone else. For example, I really enjoy buying things for Yuri: toys, clothes, shoes, and food.
As for myself, some of you might have read a previous post about bags. I really really liked this particular bag, so after weeks of thinking about it, I bought it and included another one for Mama.

3. I have extra money.

This is quite tricky because I know so many people who got into the habit of spending with money they don't have. What a surefire way to bury oneself in debt. I'm allergic to debt, so even though I really lile something, I wait until I finally have the extra money to spend for it. This means the remaining money after the tithes and bills have been paid and the savings and investments are updated.

4. I see a practical buy.

I just spent more on bags than on my phone. This is because nowadays,  it's more difficult to find high-quality bags than cellphones. I feel more confident buying an affordable phone that contains all the features I want as long as it is made by a big company and receives favorable reviews. However, for bags, I can't settle for cheap, leatherette ones that will break in weeks because they don't give me value for my money. That's only my own opinion, though.
Coach is a reputable brand, and it's a practical buy for me because they are affordable but are made of genuine leather with impeccable craftsmanship. So even though it's at the bottom of the designer bags ladder, I find it hard to care because I really like them. See?

Also, if I really need or want to buy something, I will exhaust my options to look for the cheapest selling price.
.................................

With all of these said, I think I should clarify  that I don't shop for myself regularly. I might have bought an Asus phone and two Coach bags in one month, but I haven't bought something for myself for so long. I don't remember buying myself anything for the last two Christmases and my last two birthdays! #defensivemode Hahaha!

So what about you? What's your take on shopping wisely?


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...