May 29, 2014

Allergies? Seriously?!

I've never had allergies growing up.

Nobody in my immediate family has allergies. The closest relative I know who has allergies is my cousin; he's allergic to shrimps and shellfish (sad!), but I assumed he got it from the paternal side of his family. Aside from that, I've never had close encounters with allergies.

Until one day, when I included cooked gabi (taro) in my lunch salad.
I don't think this was the offending salad, but for posterity's sake, let's assume that it was.

All of a sudden, had a feeling of itchiness inside my mouth. Even my throat was super itchy. Now, I've been eating gabi all my life and I never once had a reaction to it. I thought my lettuce leaves were already bad, so my immediate reaction was to throw my salad away and to eat a lunch of rice and viand.

A few days after that, I encountered yet another dish with gabi. Again, I innocently ate the vegetable/ root crop but then, I had the itchy sensation again. This time, I was sure that it was the gabi that caused the reactions, but I was still surprised to develop a new allergy so late in my life. It turns out there is such a thing as adult-onset allergies. Sorry, I was not informed; I didn't have the need to inform myself about it.

I found this interesting, but even though I like gabi, I wasn't so bothered about it because I have the choice not to eat it.

Then I had a new allergy.

My right eye has been itching since last weekend. As in it's really, really itchy at certain times of the day, especially during at night. The itchiness level is the same as when I have pink-eye or sore eyes, but I know I don't have this because my eye is not red at all and there's no puss (sorry, TMI). It's just really really itchy and it feels sandy inside.

A quick Google search revealed that I must be "suffering" from an eye allergy. The problem is I don't know what's causing the allergy! Any ideas?

So , after growing up completely allergy-free, I now have two allergies, one of which I am still not sure of. Life has a funny way of surprising us, doesn't it? :-)


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...