May 27, 2014

I Cut His Hair and Other Stories

1. I cut his hair.

Yuri's hair is getting too long. In fact, when his friend, Scotty, came to visit, his American dad told me, "Do you like to keep his hair long?" Not at all! But the problem is that I dread cutting his hair. It always turns out to be such a struggle, and our house would sound like a slaughter house - no kidding. That's why his hair is always cut at home with me, my mom, and his yaya. I could never dare to bring him to a proper barber shop for kids for fear na masayang ang pera.

Observe:
Polo from SM, H&M jeans, Pitter Pat sandals


But yesterday, I saw a chance. You see, I'm the one looking after Yuri when he sleeps now. I try to get some work while he sleeps. Yesterday, the connection was lost for maybe 40 minutes, and I had nothing better to do and I spotted a pair of scissors nearby, and you know what happened next.

Snip, snip.
Tah dah!

2. Goodbye, high-chair. Hello, crayons!




I had hidden Yuri's high-chair a couple of weeks before he turned 2. That's because he's becoming more agitated when he's restrained, which affects his eating habits. Instead of eating, he'd just play with his meals - unacceptable for me since he was already almost 2 - and not eat at all. Also, it's becoming too tiring for me to clean his high-chair given all the mess he makes.

During that time until recently, I let him play while we eat at the table. He goes near me to eat and he goes off running again. I know it's not the most ideal of meal habits, but he gets to eat more through that eh. 

But just last week, I made him sit on his own chair at the table. I thought it would be unsuccessful since he's always so active but - surprise, surprise - he actually stayed seated! Yay! 

Then, last Sunday, I tried it when we ate out, and he stayed seated, too! It was more challenging to make him stay seated in a restaurant, but the secret is to bring paper and crayons. Yes, I bought Yuri his first box of crayons ever! I originally wanted to make my own crayons, but I saw that it's a lot of work and I wouldn't save much anyway, so I just bought a box of Crayolas for toddlers. I will probably write about it soon.

3. Kindred-spirited mommies

Last Sunday, I also saw two mommies who are kindred spirits with me. Well, maybe they didn't know that, but I knew. Hahaha assuming lang. The first one was a mom I saw in the mass at SM (yes, I have to attend a Catholic Mass during this season in my life - long story). With her was a toddler who was around Yuri's age or maybe a little older. The first thing that grabbed my attention was how the little boy stayed seated in his stroller the whole time. Why can't Yuri do that? Just kidding. I love my maligalig na toddler.

Another thing that grabbed my attention was the way she dressed her toddler. He was wearing an outfit that was almost the same as Yuri's! They were both wearing polo-shirts (well, Yuri was wearing a button-up) and colored jeans (Yuri's was red, his was bright blue).

The final thing that grabbed my attention was their straw bottle:
Photo: http://www.realsimple.com

You know, I feel a little guilty because I'm drinking water from a glass bottle but Yuri is drinking water from a plastic bottle. I've long wanted to buy him a Thermos Funtainer or a Foogo but I still don't have the budget for it. I don't want to ask from his dad because I don't want to hear a sermon hahaha. Kidding, kidding.

Mark my words, Yuri. I'm gonna buy you that Foogo, too.

I saw the second kindred-spirited mommy that Sunday right after I finished breastfeeding Yuri in the shoe department. Yuri rarely breastfeeds in public now, but during that time, he kind of hit his jaw on one of the benches and needed his "first-aid." So I breastfed him. I'm more adept at breastfeeding in public now (after 2 years ba naman), so I didn't have any problem even though I didn't bring a cover with me.

Right after I finished nursing Yuri, another mom with a toddler who was almost as big as Yuri went to sit beside me. She might have seen me breastfeeding my toddler, too, which boosted her confidence in also breastfeeding hers. I know she was reluctant to do it because she carried a bottle of milk with he, but he refused to drink it and only wanted to nurse. I'm not sure ha, but I think knowing that my toddler also nursed from me in public might have given her the confidence she needed.

Here's a post I wrote about extended breastfeeding.

4. My birthday's coming.

Ehem, ehem.

5. And lastly, here's what Yuri looks now.

I know, he looks like a mini-Spock! Who knew it would be so hard to cut the hair of a sleeping toddler? I totally thought I cut his hair straight. When he woke up and got up, ayun, his bangs were super crooked! But it's okay; we all still think he's cute haha. Now I know how to cut Yuri's hair - basta during naptimes! I wonder when I'll gain the courage to bring him to an actual barber shop?

_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...