June 21, 2014

Montessori Approach: Age-Appropriate Chores for Kids

Photo: http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/

I don't remember the first time I saw this list; it was probably last year. However, I didn't pay too much attention to it probably because Yuri was still too young. I don't really remember.

This approach, I believe, is the Montessori way. I'll tell you the truth. I'm already interested in inquiring a Montessori school not-so-nearby because I want to Yuri to go there next year. Remind me to tell Job about that the next time we talk hehe.

Anyway, now that my interest in Montessori has been rekindled, though, I''m reading again about its approach, which led me to look for this photo again. I really love how it instills the value of independence on kids. It's very reminiscent of how my parents taught me when I was young, except for the memorization of numbers and alphabets. But that's not the point.

So reading the list above, even though I haven't fully incorporated the Montessori approach in our home yet, I can see that Yuri can already do many of the chores. Based on the list above, here they are:

  • Puts toys in his box
  • Places his dirty clothes in his own hamper
  • Throw trash away (Hands down, this is his most favorite chore ever! He'll be waiting for you to get done with something. After sensing that you're finished, for example, eating, he'll take the trash away from you and say "Pwede tapon?" Sometimes, he wants to throw things that are not meant to be thrown!)
  • Fetch diapers and wipes

As you may see, the things Yuri can accomplish are simple commands and those that he always sees us doing. I'm not so sure about carrying firewood and setting the table! I think that would look really hilarious!

What about you? How old are your kids and what chores are they now doing? Have a great weekend, by the way!



_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...