April 20, 2015

The Ultimate Summer Trip (Day 4): Vigan Museums

Read about the entire 6-day trip here.

During our fourth day of vacation, I was left in Vigan while all of the others (including Yuri) traveled upward to Ilocos Norte. At first, I moped around in the room because I was still in pain. Because I was not familiar with the place at all, I decided to just stay in and do some self-treatment inside of go to a hospital. (It's difficult to go to the emergency room alone in my experience.)

I think I slept until 10am, and I felt my stomach getting a little better. When I felt good enough to walk around, I went out of the hotel and bought food AKA energy drink and a bunch of bananas. This was my lunch (or brunch actually) for that day:

It was really fortunate that our hotel was located just in front of a grocery. It's not your usual city grocery, but it's good. There was actually a Puregold supermarket across, too, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to buy just one drink there. There were also several 7-11s, but I think they don't have bananas.

After eating my food, I just lounged around some more and watched Shake, Rattle, and Roll on TV (the one with the Ondoy feature). At 3pm, I decided to not waste my day in Vigan. Since we were not able to visit museums before - they close early - I decided to go museum-hopping. After all, I'm in one of the most historical places in the world!

So I took a bath, changed my clothes, went out of the hotel, and asked the first tricycle driver I saw to take me on a tour. That's the thing with Vigan: everyone can be a tour guide at the drop of a hat. I was blessed that I found a kind driver who took me to places safely and didn't ask for an exorbitant fee (I have a story about being charged exorbitantly in Vigan - I will tell you about it next time). He even took me to a place that makes fresh longanisa everyday, and the driver himself dropped off our orders of longanisa at our hotel later at 4 am. How kind!

Anyway, these are the places that I saw. Forgive me for the low-resolution photos; my camera was in Ilocos Norte. And keep in mind that I was still recovering from a sickness haha #excuses

Crisologo Museum

Floro S. Crisologo was the patriarch of the clan and a congressman known for being responsible for landmark legislations that not only benefited his constituents but the whole country as well. He authored the laws behind the creation of the North’s first state university, the University of Northern Philippines, and the establishment of the Social Security System, which serves the whole working populace to this day.

On a Sunday in October 1970, while he was inside the St. Paul’s Cathedral, Congressman Crisologo was shot in the head by a still unidentified gunman.

The mansion of the Crisologos is open for public viewing throughout the week. Visitors may find it in Vigan’s Liberation Boulevard. One may enter for free the museum and view the antiques, memorabilia and other prized possessions of the Crisologos steeped with history. (Vigan.ph)
Crisologo Museum
Crisologo Museum
Crisologo Museum
Crisologo Museum
Carruage Crisologo Museum
Crisologo chevrolet Crisologo Museum

Crisologo Museum
Crisologo's clothes Crisologo Museum
Crisologo's clothes when he got assassinated.
Crisologo's office Crisologo Museum

Burgos National Museum

Father Jose Burgos was born in this ancestral home to Florencia Garcia and Jose Burgos in February 1837. He finished his primary schooling in Vigan but his higher studies were completed in Manila’s San Juan de Letran and the University of Santo Tomas, where he studied priesthood. He showed remarkable characteristics even as a young student; and as a young priest fought with quiet courage for equal rights for the Filipino clergy.

The just cause he took on made him a target of the machinations of Spanish friars. When a mutiny broke out in Cavite, the Spanish friars saw it as an opportunity to get rid of Father Burgos, including him amongst those who they accused as supporting the rebellion. He was tried in Fort Santiago and executed in February 1872 at Bagumbayan, presently known as Luneta Park in Manila. He died by strangulation with an iron collar together with two other priests, Fathers Gomez and Zamora.

Father Burgos’ home is now a satellite museum of the National Museum. (Vigan.ph)
National Burgos Museum
National Burgos Museum
Despite reading that the museum is open until 4:30 pm, when we got there, it was obviously closed. So I just took photos of the facade and went to the next museum, literally next door, which was the new Gregoria M. Rivera Memorial Library and Museum.

Gregoria M. Rivera Memorial Library and Museum

Not much is written about this museum as it is relatively new, having opened just last January (2015). However, it is the old city jail restored and houses important artifacts and artwork.
Gregoria M. Rivera Memorial Library and Museum
Bust of Elpidio Quirino Gregoria M. Rivera Memorial Library and Museum
Gregoria M. Rivera Memorial Library and Museum
Gregoria M. Rivera Memorial Library and Museum
Gregoria M. Rivera Memorial Library and Museum
Gregoria M. Rivera Memorial Library and Museum
Old Vigan Jail Gregoria M. Rivera Memorial Library and Museum
Gregoria M. Rivera Memorial Library and Museum

Buridek Children's Museum

Inaugurated in September 8, 2008, this is the first children's museum in Northern Luzon and the third in the entire country.
Buridek Children's Museum
Buridek Children's Museum
Buridek Children's Museum

We also dropped by the Syquia Mansion, which was former President Elpidio Quirino's home, but it was closed. It was the museum I was most looking forward to visiting, but as luck would have it, it's closed every Tuesdays. Keep that in mind! Still, I truly enjoyed my museum-hopping afternoon and believe I have made the most out of my stay in Vigan despite being sick.

What about the things the rest of my travel-mates saw in Ilocos Norte? I'll write about it next!

_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...