July 2, 2014

My 5 Blog Turn-Ons

I just learned from Rea's blog that yesterday was Social Media day. Oh wow, they have a day for everything now, don't they? I wonder when they'll make a Mom Bloggers' Day? Or is there?

I'm a regular user of social media. 6 years on Facebook, 4 years on Twitter, and a year and a half on Instagram. Often, I only open the websites to share links, chat, and look for something to read.

So I guess you can say that I'm not the ideal like-magnet user. I'm more of a blogger (didn't you notice?) and I broadcast my life here and interact people through it, making it my social media. With that in mind, let's talk about bloggers, er, blogging!

You see, I'm the kind of person who needs to read for hours before sleeping. I know it's a tasteless comparison, but I'm very Kris Aquino in that aspect.

I used to be able to read entire books in one sitting, but with my attention span now, I prefer to read blog posts. That is why it has become my habit to pocket maybe 5-15 blog posts per night.

When the usual blogs that I follow don't have updates, I turn to the TopBlogs site to look for new blogs. Despite my sched, I make time for it for fear of running out of reading material!

Once in a while, I discover blog gems that I end up subscribing to. These are the ones which I think should gain huge readership (and my loyalty hihi) simply because they have the following:

1. Correct Grammar

I admit that I am a Grammar Nazi but only in the right context. I won't hold it against you if you commit mistakes on social media, on spoken and/or casual conversations, or if aminado ka na hindi ka magaling sa English and prefer not to use it. After all, it's just a language.
Photo: imgfave.com

But I think blogs should be held to the same standards as publications because they are also widely read. Sadly, it is very rare to find bloggers who really know how to use the language.
Funny because when I see a blog written in impeccable grammar, I take it as a sign that what she's saying is credible! If she guards her grammar, I think she'd guard her reputation, too!

2. Lovely Design

I know not everyone prefers minimalist design, so even if I (clearly) have a bias for it, I still appreciate maximalist and colorful designs.
Photo: http://www.thesitsgirls.com

More important than the design, though, is the neat layout. I really like reading blogs that are set on a neat background with harmonious designs. It makes me think that the writer cares for her readers - and their eyes!

3. Beautiful Photos

Ah, one of my greatest frustrations! Had I known I would be taking photographs daily, I would've listened to Sir Quiz's lectures back in college!

(Sir Quiz, or Kibs, was my photography teacher in college. He's a star in UP Min hehehe)
Photo: http://www.hdwallpapers.in

I aim to improve my mad Kodaking skillz, so I look to blogs (and Instagram accounts for inspiration. This is the reason why I'm discovering many foreign mom blogs. They take such lovely photographs; I don't know how they do it!

4. Truly "Personal" Blogs


Sometimes, I encounter a blog with a cool title and an interesting-looking page. However, upon scrolling down, I see rows and rows (and, yes, rows) of paid posts and press releases. Then I sing to myself, "pinaasa mo lang ako..."
Photo: Wikihow.com

I don't know about you but I never read those press releases. Instead, I like reading about personal posts where the blogger simply pours her heart or mind about something. I like reading about experiences, funny, scary, romantic, or ordinary. I like reading about insights on issues and motherhood. If I want to learn about a product, I'll read an honest review, not a press release or a sponosored post.

5. Kindred-Spirit Bloggers

And last comes the most important "criterion" I have. I guess it's the same for all of us. We all gravitate toward our kindred spirits.
Photo: http://www.brookecopani.com

The same is true in discovering blogs, right? Even if a blog has all four elements above, if you don't feel a connection with the blogger, those are all useless.

Who are the bloggers I connect to or those that I (think I) share kindred spirits with?

1. Mothers - I'm not sure many will agree, but there is a divide in the blogging world. It is hard for non-moms to relate to moms and vice versa. I'm saying this because, unlike when I was in college, I now find it hard to appreciate non-mommy blogs! I guess we tend to seek bloggers who put our thoughts and feelings into words.

2. Christian Mothers - A mommy blog (which fulfills the elements above) is already a great find for me, but I get really excited once I find out she's Christian, too. I love reading a blog written by a Proverbs 31 kinda woman. This way, I can observe (in a non-creepy manner) her demeanor and godly strategies in raising her family.

3. Homeschooling Mothers - Many homeschooling mothers are also Christian, but not all homeschooling mothers or Christian mothers blog, so if I find one written by a Christian homeschooling mama, it's a rare gem! I devour it. I'm still toying with the possibility of homeschooling, but what I like about these blogs are the deeper insights they provide about mothering.

4. Shopaholic Mothers - I am kuripot and even though I like shopping, I try to limit it. Sometimes, though, when I see a product review (see #4) on a credible (see #1) on a mom blog, I can't help but want to try it!

Other notable omissions: blogs with no foul words, blogs with minimal bragging, blogs with inspiring messages.

So there. I'm not claiming that my blog fulfills these criteria; I'm actually writing from a reader's perspective, not a blogger's.

If you think I should include your blog on my reading list, please leave your link below. Chos! Kidding!

And what about you? What are your blogging turn-ons?

PS: I wrote this first as a list of blogging turn-offs. It was finished and was ready for posting, but God convicted me to not write anything that can hurt and offend other people. So I rewrote it and I'm happier with this version! :-)



_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...