December 1, 2014

Christmas Gifts: What about Jesus?

I have a million drafts that are waiting to be published - hopefully before the end of the year. I also have a million blog ideas that are still on my head, waiting to be written. Most of them are about Christmas.

Ah, Christmas.

I will never get tired of saying that it's my favorite time of the year. And why not? It's the time of giving, receiving, eating, getting together, singing songs.

I especially love buying people gifts. Ever since I started earning my own money, I learned the pleasure of hunting for the perfect gift, the anticipation of giving, and the look of surprise on your recipient's face. In fact, I have a Christmas list that reminds me which gifts I still need to finalize and buy. I have already went through my Christmas fund buying them!

But I realized that my list was nowhere near complete. It was missing the most important thing.

Jesus.
Image: christmas-kid.com

As a Christian, I'm very ashamed to say that. It's more embarrassing because I have been asking for a lot of things but it didn't occur to me that I should be the one giving Jesus a gift!

Sure, I know Christmas is about Jesus and how he was born to save us from sin. But will these thoughts remain thoughts? Have I ever done anything concrete for Jesus? Have I ever given him a true Christmas gift?

What about you?

I tried listing the things I thought I have done for the sake of His name. Tithe, give to the needy, share the Word, read the Bible, pray. Are these good things? I'd be lying if I said they aren't. But is this the thing Jesus really needs?

The truth is that these things are helpful, but God wants us to do one thing: give our lives to Him.
Source: faithmadestronger.blogspot.com

Woah!

It does sound extreme. I remember offering my life to Jesus more than 4 years ago. Since then, I have lived a changed life. However, I backslid not only a couple of times, and I think I must have given God some heartbreak.

This Christmas, I want God to never be heartbroken over me anymore. It's a weighty pledge and, frankly, I doubt myself. But I will never doubt God's faithfulness. Despite my sins, He never gave up on me. I committed far too many mistakes, but He never abandoned me. Instead, He still used me and blessed my life more than I could imagine. I am not worthy of these at all.

Imagine having an obsolete phone that turns itself off l every 20 minutes. Imagine not throwing it away but persevering to use it (no replacements!) because you believe it will still work. I don't think I will ever have the patience to do that! But I was worse than an obsolete phone that no longer works; however, God stayed with me and believed in me. It's incredible. In my limited human understanding, it's almost absurd.

That's why it only makes sense that my gift to Him will be my life.

This Christmas, I pledge to be a true Christian. A Christian by words and works. I pledge to submit my life to the Lord's will and not my own.

I know it's difficult, but I know that a loving God will never leave me. It's scary, but I know my merciful God will never intend to harm me.

Jesus, my life is yours. Remind me that it's not about me. I'm scared but I trust you. Take my life and use it for your glory!

(Segue: Rose trusted Jack with her life. I know I can trust Job with my life. I should not be scared of fully entrusting my life to God!)

What about you? What's your gift to the Lord? Do you want to give the same gift that I want to give? You can begin with this simple prayer:
Dear God,

I come to You in the Name of Jesus. I admit that I am not right with You, and I want to be right with You. I ask You to forgive me of all my sins. The Bible says if I confess with my mouth that “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in my heart that God raised Him from the dead, I will be saved (Rom. 10:9). I believe with my heart and I confess with my mouth that Jesus is the Lord and Savior of my life. Thank You for saving me!

In Jesus’ Name I pray.

Amen.
(It's been a long time since I prayed this prayer so I borrowed the words from here. Read more about it here.)

Of course, don't let it end with a prayer. Let's live or lives for the One who bought us for a price - His own blood.
Source: god.com

Thank you, friends, and may you have a blessed Christmas.


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...