September 27, 2012

On Preloved Toys (Part 1)

As a mommy, I'm always on the lookout for things that would help my baby develop physically, mentally, and socially. That's why I breastfeed exclusively, give him time to exercise, regularly bring him to his doctor and to the Barangay Center for vaccinations, sing to him, talk to him, and do many other things I never dreamed of doing before.

I also know the value of toys for a baby's development. He has cute toys given to him by his papa, and a lot of other equally cute toys given to him on his baptism. However, all of these toys are plastic and aside from being hard to the touch, they are also hard to disinfect. I was looking for soft toys, particularly soft books, which could aid him develop his visual and tactile senses (and won't hurt him if he bangs them on his head, which he does a lot).

I went window shopping and found some soft books in Choochoobaby in Gaisano mall. They are not very expensive, ranging from P400 - P700, but I found none that I liked. The cheaper ones are from Lamaze and, while cute, I'm not fond of the yarn detail that Y could accidentally ingest.

It's really cute, but Y would get hold of those yarns in no time.

Another soft book was from Disney. It is cute but it is too small. Its redeeming quality was the stuffed toy, and trust me, we don't need any more stuffed toys.

They look good in pictures but I really find the book quite small.

The last one was a pillow book, also from Disney. I really planned to buy one, since it can also be used as a pillow, but it's designed for older kids. I really don't think Y would appreciate reading about Cars yet. Maybe in a year or two.

It looks like a pillow but opens up as a book!
But the letters are too small; it's made for toddlers, not babies.

So what did I do? Incidentally, I found a seller on Facebook who sells preloved toys from the US. I was wary of buying preloved toys because I know Y's tendency to chew on his books whatever he can get his hands on. However, I got the go-signal from my non-germaphobe mother (I kept it a secret from J hahaha) who said I can easily disinfect cloth toys.

And what did I find? Really cheap toys from Taggies, Sesame Street, and Baby Einstein.

(To be continued...)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...