August 22, 2013

Life is Fleeting

A lot of things (that don't necessarily concern me) just happened. First, there were the bombings in Mindanao that came one after the other. Thankfully, Davao City was spared when we celebrated the Kadayawan Festival.

Then, there was the Cebu City accident. I have many relatives in Cebu, so this hit close to heart. However, what made me tear up were the number of babies lost in the sea and the mothers' stories on how they lost their children. That's it. These babies didn't even get to grow up and go to school. Fall in love and get swept off of their feet. Have children themselves. I can't stand it.

Just this week, there was the Typhoon Maring and habagat that resulted to 10-20 casualties (the numbers differ). When you view it from a detached perspective, it's only numbers. But when you get to think about it more deeply, that's 10-20 devastated families. Orphaned children.Widowed partners. Lost dreams.

Finally, just yesterday, I received a message from one of my first and dearest friends in UP, Hazel. She was actually one of my first roommates in the dormitory, so I know her mom. She told us that her mom got diagnosed with lung cancer. Stage 4. Already? I asked myself. None in their family even smokes. Just how unfair can life get?

I made plans to visit Hazel and her mom in the hospital, when she wrote a new status message. Her mom already passed away. That was mere hours from the time she left the first message. I thought there was still hope.

I want to comfort her with the fact that her mom's at peace now in Heaven. That she's now with God. That she's now in a place where there is only happiness, no sorrow and tears. But I will never be able to do that. Because she just lost her mother. The one who gave birth to her, raised her for 20+ years, her confidante, her best friend.

No words can ever heal that wound, only God.

So I resorted into meditation, as I woke up 3am earlier. I wasn't able to go back to sleep until 5. Alas, life is fleeting. It is too short, and we make it even shorter with unnecessary concerns. We don't have to ask what these "unnecessary concerns" are; deep inside our hearts, we know them. And yet we continue devoting time to them, subtracting precious time that is meant for our families, loved ones, and God.

I am helpless because I'm only human, but I have my God to depend on. And so after praying and doing my devotional, I sent an early-morning text message to Job (whom I just had an argument with), and I tucked in Yuri more tightly and whispered the same words in my text message: I love you.

Photo source: edworldexchange.com

_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...