September 26, 2013

Lessons from an 18-month Old

While waiting for his order...

We just achieved another milestone - Yuri turns 18 months today! Now, I can say that he's a legit toddler and he can already hang out with the older toddlers without fear of them toppling Yuri over.

Just kidding. I can't even let go of his hand when running for fear of him running into something or stepping on himself. Silly fears. I'll never let Yuri play with other kids. Just kidding again.

Yesterday, I broadcasted how Yuri can be such a brat sometimes. Now, I'm off to make bawi by praising his good deeds as an 18-month old.

1. Always say the magic words.

The magic words being "thank you" and "sorry." I have yet to intentionally teach Yuri about using "please," although I use it often to get through his conscious. Anyway, back to the magic words. I am mighty proud because Yuri already uses these phrases in the proper context. For example, if he forcibly takes my share of the cake , he says thank you. If he throws his (hard) toy car at my face, he says sorry.

Haha, I'm sorry you can't see my hand!

While laughing like a maniac.

2. Be loyal.

At 18 months, Yuri is very fond of cars. Actually, it started when he was 16 months old. Last month, we bought him a lot of cars; one of them was this tiny car that looked as if it's gonna break down any minute. Yuri had his eye on it on the very first day, ignoring the bigger cars and the battery-operated ones. He played with it everyday until it did break into smaller pieces.

The toy looks so kawawa. Gulong na lang sya oh.
But he still plays with it.

3. Pick up your mess.

Last Sunday, we were at the Off-Price Show. While waiting for my dad to finish fitting his Crocs (which he did not buy), Yuri and I explored the area. Suddenly, someone knocked a hanger off the rack and did not return it. Yuri ran toward it and I knew he was going to pick it. I thought he would play with the hanger. I didn't expect him to reach up to the rack to try to return it.

Photo: commons.wikimedia.org
Somebody nominate Yuri for Bayaning Pilipino Awards please.

4. Survival skills: Building a fort

Yuri has successfully built his first fort last night. We were peacefully playing after dinner, just quiet play, while waiting for bed time when he had this brilliant idea to grab the pillows from our heads one by one. He promptly placed one pillow on top of the other until he was able to build a wall. He climbed up on it, of course.

Keep still, Yuri, we're being Kodaked!
Vantage point
Later, he must have thought he was a battering ram and demolished his wall with his head. Survival skills, I tell ya.

5. Fake it until you make it.

I'm trying to incorporate reading books into his routine now. Most of the time, though, he points at the photos for a few minutes and gets distracted and plays with something else.

I'm done with reading!

Last afternoon, though, he was so behaved. He just lied next to me while I read a book. I stopped when I reached page 12 or 13 because I could not believe Yuri stayed still throughout the whole ordeal. I looked at him. He looked at me and promptly turned his back on me and turned the television on. I didn't even know how he did that (the TV thing), but clearly, me pausing to look at him marked the end of our reading session. Well played, Yuri. Well played.

6. Go for a woman with humor.

If you are not jeje like me, go ahead and skip this hehe. Okay. Yuri absolutely adores Ryzza Mae. He knows her songs, Chacha (one of his first words) and Look Up. He jumps with glee when her commercials get on. Why not? Ryzza Mae's interesting! And he doesn't care for Annaliza because she's boring.

Photo: ph.omg.yahoo.com

He might have taken after his father because I'm also funny. On second thought, maybe not. Job likes me for my looks, not my personality. I kid, I kid.

How about you? What funny (but meaningful) lessons have you learned from the aleng and mamang maliits?

_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...