January 4, 2014

On Obedience and Waiting

A few weeks ago, Job and I made the decision to minimize communication. We would have cut off communication altogether,but we saw it detrimental as Job needs to know how his son is doing.

It first started when I prayed - really prayed - to God and asked him when he would fulfill the desitres of my heart. I was growing tired and weary. God, being the loving Father that he is, comforted me of course. However, he also said something to me that tested my maturity. He spoke to me and said:
I cannot bless you if you don't stop sinning.
Radical, right? I didn't know what it meant at first. Then God revealed to me (through what I read) that I was being disobedient to my parents. You see, my parents have been hurt at me and Job. They ordered us to stop communicating. That was years ago. However, obviously, we are still very much together and always communicating.

I have been going against my parents' will without realizing it. In God's eyes, this is a huge sin, and He cannot bless me (in this aspect) because of it. Come to think of it, God might be the one hardening my parents' hearts.

So I promised God that I would minimize communication to please Him and my parents. I promised that I will only talk to Job once a week to give him updates about Yuri, the investments, etc.

I dreaded telling Job abou t this because he is a very emotional person. Predictably, he reacted negatively when I first told him. What I wasn't prepared for was how fast he accepted it. It was just around 30 minutes. Then I remembered praying to God that He speak to Job and convict his heart. God did the work even before me.

Job then talked to me about God and how he wants to help me overcome sin. Then, he shared what he read from the Bible. Amazingly, we were both convicted to read Abraham's story.
15 The angel of the Lord called to Abraham from heaven a second time 16 and said, “I swear by myself, declares the Lord, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, 18 and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me.” (Genesis 22: 15-18) (Emphasis added)
We were truly blessed by that, and he shared more Bible verses to me. It was as if he was the one who made the "decision" in the first place! In the following days, all he did was read the Bible, and I did not even tell him to do it. It was all God's work. Aside from me, He also wants Job to be a man after His own heart. I feel really blessed.

I also know his reading the Bible and singing worship songs isn't just superficial because his tone also changed. Before, he would impatiently announce that he wants to be with me and Yuri already. Nowadays, he would say something like "please take a lot of photos of Yuri so that I would also see him when he was little when God finally allows me to be with him."

We agreed that aside from minimizing communication, we will not focus on our relationship for now. Instead,we want to focus on building our relationships with our Maker. We are learning to trust in God's perfect timing.

Job and I agreed to talk only on Saturdays. We inevitably fail miserably because it was Christmas and New Year, and my gift to him arrived, and his gift to me arrived. However, we kept our talks very straight and direct to the point. Then, after delivering the point across, we stop talking and wait until our designated talk-day.
Photo: society6.com
Is it hard? Of course it is. I have been in a relationship with Job for years. and I naturally look forward to swapping stories with him at the end of the day. However, we can do it with God's grace. We're confident we will get blessed in His time if we follow him. In fact, we're already getting blessed just weeks after making the decision. I know God only wants the best for us, and in order to attain this best, we need to obey His commands.

Now I understand that God and the world aren't just "picking" on me. God wants to build our characters to prepare us to receive the abundance of his blessings. What a relief.
Photo from Facebook

_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...