February 17, 2014

Scary Scary Saturday!

The other night, while I was prepping Yuri for bedtime (I think I was giving him a sponge bath), the peace and quiet was interrupted by frantic screams from upstairs.

Of course, we all wondered why Honey (Yuri's yaya) screamed. She ran downstairs and told us.
You see, above her bed in her bedroom, there's a trapdoor that leads to the "inside" of the roof. Can you imagine it? Here's a photo of said trapdoor.
Not really the stuff horror movies are made of - or so we thought.

Now, several months ago, it has been blown open by the wind. For reasons unknown, Honey left it as is. Imagine this: the space between our space and ceiling is a big and dark and damp crevice. It's like an attic: a cave-like version of it. Now imagine sleeping on a bed under an open trapdoor that leads to a virtual cave.

Up to this day, I still couldn't understand why Honey, who's also a scaredy cat like I am, didn't bother closing the trapdoor.

So let's go back to Saturday. We were peacefully doing our pre-bedtime rituals when Honey frantically screamed upstairs

Ganito kasi yun.

 She was folding her clothes on her bed when suddenly, something black fell on her side. Obviously, it came from the black hole beyond the trapdoor.

She stood up to inspect what it was when the black thing moved.

Then it flew.


The black thing that fell down on Honey's bed was a freaking bat.


I couldn't imagine how it feels to be in Honey's shoes. Sooo scary! I mean, they're basically rats that fly. I'm even scared of small lizards (and don't get me started with butterflies). Seeing that bat would have given me a heart attack.

Thankfully, Honey was able to conquer her fear - and the bat! She was actually able to capture it when it hung itself by her door (ugh, creepy!) and placed a trash bag over it. The thing flew right into the bag and Honey successfully solved the bat situation.

Of course, she was screaming again when she threw the bag outside the house and the bat managed to escape the loosely knotted opening.

And of course there are no photos of said bat! No one would dare take photos of it! Instead, here's a photo of Stellaluna:
I'll never read you the same way again.

This place where our subdivision is situated was once a forest. As in when we first lived here 8 years ago, the back of our house was still a forest. As in liblib na kakahuyan. Because of that, birds were abundant and still are abundant.

Doves are known to fill some parts of our streets (ala Milan). This bird perched on our fence last year. During the time when Yuri was still a newborn baby and I would wake up during the wee hours of the night, it was not uncommon for me to spot a certain white owl. I think my brother and I even nicknamed it "Ghost." It often perched here:
That's the street sign right in front of our house. Sorry, I didn't want to go closer to take a photo. There were a lot of foreigners (afam?) in our neighbor's house, and it was dyahe to take a photo of a street sign.

But I never ever saw a bat.

This was a first - and hopefully the last!

Still, my romantic imagination forces me to think that there could be a family of bats up there, living in the space within our roof. I mean, bats don't do solo flight, do they? Also, they're photo-sensitive, so they wouldn't intentionally go to a brightly-lit room. This would explain why we never saw them before. That particular bat could have been sick and wounded, which caused it to fall through the trapdoor. We (Honey) managed to "dispose" it but not the family it left behind.

Ugh, creepy! That's what happens to people with overactive imaginations.

Speaking of overactive imaginations, I actually overheard Honey talking to the neighbor's yaya one day. She said she heard "kikikik" coming from above her. This was not the first time she said that and being an overly superstitious gal, she immediately attributed the sound to the "wakwak" (aswang for you, Tagalog people). I would always dismiss this and tell her to stop being so superstitious.

Now she knows where the "kikikik" comes from, though: an actual bat!

PS: Our maid before, about 3 years ago, also mentioned this "kikikik" sound. That time I was pregnant with Yuri. However, while my mother has some credible story to tell about the aswang, I still dismissed the story.

Perhaps the bat (bats?) have been living inside the roof since then? *shudders*

_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...