June 23, 2014

Battle of 5 Stainless Steel Kid Bottles

Okay, I'll begin with a disclaimer. I have already bought a stainless steel bottle for Yuri, which arrived last Friday afternoon. So this "battle" is not for me as much as it is for you, you who also want to do away with plastic.

Anyway, I'll keep my choice of bottle a secret (for now!) and focus on telling you what my options were. All I'll tell you is that Yuri immediately began using the bottle last Friday (after I washed it thoroughly, of course), and he loves it. I really love it, too!

I did a lot of "research" before finally buying that particular bottle, though. As I mentioned here, high-quality stainless steel bottles especially made for babies, toddlers, and kids do not come cheap. Knowing that I'm going to spend money anyway, I want to choose the right one right away. What were my choices? Please note that there are more options, but I only wrote about the ones that are readily available in the islands. After all, I'm not sure you would want to spend extra for shipping from abroad.

Here they are, along with my pros-and-cons evaluation:

1. Thermos Foogo/Funtainer

This was actually my first choice - and this actually gives you a clue that this was not what I ordered. I liked it because the design was too cute for words. I mean, a mini-thermos with a button to press for the straw? I was sold. However, when I did thorough research, I found out that it has many problems.
Image from eBay

PROS
  • Again, they look really cute, don't they? I think that out of all the brands available in the Philippines, they are the one that offers the widest variety of designs.
  • In order to get the straw out, you only need to press the button. Plus points for hygiene!
  • Double-walls insulate the drink and keep it cold or hot for hours.
CONS
  • However, they are a bit pricey. Most online sellers sell them for more than P1,000.
  • I also read reviews complaining about the button and how it easily cracks over time. Oops!
  • Unlike many stainless steel bottles, it has many parts, which still makes it an easy breeding ground for bacteria.
  • Also, having many parts makes it not very convenient to clean.
  • Many report of leaking after months of usage.

2. Klean Kanteen for Kids

I first heard of it from US-based blogs and haven't really read about it in Philippine-based ones, so I thought it wasn't available here. I only found out it was available locally when Rica Peralejo-Bonifacio featured it in her Instagram account.

Photo: http://www.hullabaloo.co.za

PROS
  • It comes from a very reputable brand. If I'm not mistaken, Klean Kanteen is one of the first manufacturers of stainless steel bottles.
  • Based on their website, they sell changeable valves to fit a child's changing needs.
  • They come in cute colors.
CONS
  • However, based on the website alone, not all of the colors are available locally.
  • The bottles lack insulation. Also, there is no holder that can help a child easily hold a too-cold bottle straight from the fridge.
  • I don't really like the physical form of the bottles. It's like not much thought was given to it. I don't think it's comfortable for little hands to hold.
  • They're also not that cheap! I think they're even more expensive than the Thermos.


3. Pura Kiki Bottles

Now, these were the first stainless steel bottles that I've ever read about in a local setting. I've heard about it since Yuri was a baby; unfortunately, I wasn't as info-savvy then. I also see this brand on many online shopping websites, which, I think, makes it a very good choice for a new mommy.
Photo: www.rakuten.com.my

PROS
  • Unlike the other bottles, there are no plastic parts in these bottles, only silicone which is safer than plastic.
  • They also come in a variety of yummy colors! 
  • Different valves are also available so the bottle grows with the baby.
CONS
  • Despite its good qualities, the Pura Kiki bottle simply doesn't fit the needs of my 2-year old toddler. The only two options are a nipple (obviously for a baby) and a soft sippy spout (more suitable for a young toddler). If Yuri were still a little baby, I would buy these bottles!
  • EDIT: A reader commented that Pura Kiki bottles aren't that durable; they damaged easily. So I change my mind about them!

4. Kid Basix Safe Line

I first encountered this brand when I was searching on eBay for a suitable replacement for the Thermos Foogo/Funtainer. However, I only saw the Safe Sippy type, whose design struck me as a bit weird! It was only later when I realized there were more (normal-looking) models in the Safe Line hee hee.
Photo: http://www.racingandsavingmama.com/

PROS
  • There are many types of cups available which suit the needs of children of different ages and stages.
  • There are many colors available, too! (As you may have noticed, I'm a sucker for colors!)
  • There is also a sleeve around the bottle, making it easy to hold even if it is too cold or too hot.
  • It doesn't contain a lot of parts unlike straw cups (ehem).
  • Priced at around P750 and above, this is one of the more affordable options.
  • Great customer service according to US-based reviews.
CONS
  • If you aim to give your baby stainless steel bottles from newborn-hood, you will need to buy a different one at each stage because there are no adaptors or valves. 
  • Despite having the sleeve, no insulation is provided by the bottles.
  • Some report leaks after months of usage.

5. Camelbak Stainless Steel

I encountered the brand first when I was reading Hellobee blog posts. It seems to be a common favorite among the mom bloggers there! However, the more common one is the Tritan bottle, which is a controversial plastic, too. Not too many moms there use the stainless steel version, and I discovered that it's not very common in local online stores, too. Truth be told, I only found it in one!
Photo: http://www.summithut.com

PROS
  • Unlike most bottles here, they have a variety of designs available, just like the Funtainers.
  • The bite-spout is interesting and revolutionary.
  • The entire form of the bottle itself is interesting!
  • It is made by a reputable company specializing in outdoor gear, so you can be sure it's durable!
  • This is also one of the more affordable options, with the same price range as the Kid Basix bottles.
CONS
  • However, despite the wide variety of designs, I'm not sure how many are available locally. Like what I said, I only saw one store selling it, and I'm not sure how many designs they have.
  • Aside from not having insulation, there is also no sleeve or handle to make holding it bearable.
  • I'm not sure whether a toddler can easily understand how to use the bite-spout (or is it bite-valve?).
  • There are also not many options (size or stage) available.
.....................................................

So there we go! You've just read my un-comprehensive but hopefully informative comparison of the five options for stainless steel bottles out there. I'm writing this with the hope that you join me in abandoning plastic feeding stuff for our kids (and for us, too!). After all, even if these are more expensive than plastic cups and bottles, the additional pesos pay for our peace of mind, don't you agree? There is truly no price for health!

PS: Can you guess what we got? Stay tuned tomorrow! :-)

PPS: Here's what I got!

_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...