December 12, 2014

Finance Friday: How Will You Spend Your Christmas Bonus?

It's December once again! For most of us, that means Chrismas is near. For many of us who belong to the employed sector, that also means more moolah!

This is the time of the year when many of us receive Christmas bonuses and 13th month pays. Unfortunately, since I am technically a freelancer, I don't receive these kinds of benefits. What I do is work double-time (since I am in charge of my time) so that I will have extra money for Christmas.

Last year (woah time flies!), I talked about suggestions on how to use the 13th month pay. It's an awesome post so please read it haha!

But what about the Christmas Bonus?

If you read my post about using the 13th month pay, I suggested that we donate 10% of it to charity. That's because I consider this regular income. It means that it's something expected so we can include it in a regular budget.

However, the Christmas bonus is not considered regular income because first, it is not always certain, and second, we may not know how much it is or when we will receive it. So I have a different view about it.

I want to see Christmas bonus as that: a bonus. It's a windfall, so we can choose not to include it in our budget. That's why I believe the best way to spend it is to divide it into two things:

1. FOR CELEBRATING

I believe there is nothing wrong with spending the bonus to celebrate the year that has been. Go use it to but your gifts, food for Noche Buena, and even buy something for yourself. If you had some savings for Christmas, pool the funds together and celebrate the fruits of your hardwork!

2. FOR GIVING

But don't forget that beyond our Christmas tree is an entire world that needs help. Don't forget that we need to be a blessing to our neighbors! I urge you to give a considerable part of your bonus to those who may be having a gift-less, food-less, warmth-less Christmas.

Check out World Vision's Noche Buena campaign. For only P1,000, you can sponsor the Noche Buena of a family. They also have a current campaign for those affected by Typhoon Ruby.

Or if you have the time and resources, visit a charitable organization and host a Christmas party! I would really love to that if time permits me.

Also, if you're living in Davao, our Lumadnon brothers and sisters have already arrived. I'm sure you have noticed them! We don't have to look far and wide to help.
....................

As Christians, we have to keep in mind that Christmas is not really about material things. Yes, it is fun to look for gifts and buy them - I can't deny that - but we have an obligation toward our neighbor. After all, Jesus would probably want us to celebrate the fact that He was born by giving ourselves to others.

What are your thoughts about this?


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...