February 13, 2014

Cloth Diapering Updates

We only got into the cloth-diapering bandwagon recently when Yuri was already 20 months old. Now, I realize that I should have cloth-diapered him a lot earlier! It's one of my mothering regrets actually.

It has been almost 2 months since I first used a cloth diaper, and I still love it. Here are the reasons:

1. Cuteness

Must I begin with something as superficial as cuteness? Yes, I must. You see, one thing I despise about disposables is their limited designs. Also, they tend to look really bad when Yuri has worn them long enough. Sometimes, he wears one, and in less than one hour, laylay na. Why?! On the other hand, this is never the problem with CDs. They still fit well no matter how long you wear them (not too long naman), and there are so many cute designs to choose from!
These inserts take forever to dry! But they do well in keeping Yuri's bum dry.

2. Dryness

At first, I thought I would be changing Yuri from hour to hour. Well, that was not the case. I didn't even have to change him every two hours. In fact, I only have to change him twice a day!

Here's our setup: Bath in the morning, wear CDs at around 8am, change it at 12nn, and change it again at 5pm. I use two inserts (microfiber and bamboo), and I've never experienced leaks.

*This setup might not be applicable to your baby. Yuri is already a 22 month old potty training-ready toddler who does not anymore urinate like an old man. He already has more control of his bladder, so he pees twice in the morning and twice in the afternoon.
3. Ease of Use

One thing that prevented me from buying cloth diapers when Yuri was (a lot) younger was intimidation. I was afraid they would be hard to use. When I got to try one for the first time, I realized it wasn't so hard at all! In fact, what you only need to do is insert the inserts and wear it on the baby like you would with a disposable. Easy peasy!

Another thing that held me back from buying CDs before was the pain of laundering. Now, here's what I need to tell you: I work at home full-time and I wash Yuri's cloth diapers. Why? Because they're actually easy to wash!

After almost 2 months of using CDs, I have delegated the task of washing the unsoiled nappies to the yaya. Meanwhile, since I'm the one washing Yuri's pwet when he goes poopoo (which is, well, 2-3 times a day), I also wash the soiled nappies,too. I do grumble sometimes, though, when it's time for me to work but I still have to wash a diaper, but in reality, it only takes less than 15 minutes to do so. And it's not hard, promise!
A day's worth of diaper laundry

4. Economically-wise


Since I started cloth-diapering Yuri, I was only able to use up 2 medium packs of Huggies and 2 small packs of generic diapers. I also bought another medium pack last Sunday but have used maybe around 4. (We still use disposables at night and in going out.) This is in contrast to using up to 4 packs per month! Imagine the savings.

Okay, so that number might have been a lot less if not for the weather. You see, it was raining non-stop here for weeks last month and none of the thick inserts would properly dry. The bamboo ones are the stubborn-est (is that even a word?). So I resorted to using disposables. Now that the weather's getting warmer, though, I'm confident that a medium pack of diapers would be enough for a month.
Literally hands-on parenting! 
(Sorry, this photo was taken before the banyo was cleaned. And, yes, don't get me started about the bathroom tiles.)

5. Ecologically-wise

The final benefit of using cloth diapers would be its impact on the environment. Even if I only have a handful of CDs around, I noticed how much waste was reduced. But that's not just the diaper waste.

You see, aside from cloth-diapering, I have resorted to washing Yuri in the bathroom. As in with tubig and timba. No wipes na! I found it ridiculous if you're using cloth diapers, which you will not throw, and wipes that you need to throw. Parang hindi compatible. So we totally went third world and Yuri enjoys it! I like it, too, because I finish in half the time it takes to wipe his pwet using wipes. The latter was always a power struggle for us!

So here they are, the reasons why we're still cloth-diapering (and going strong - should I add that?). What about you? What are your reasons for using them? If not, what are your apprehensions?

PS: This post was prepared when I still had a working camera. Boohoo, I don't like not having a camera. :-(

_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...