June 16, 2014

Summer Can't End Just Yet! (An Unproductive Story)

I just spent my entire summer - wait for it - working!

Since I started working from home (which was about 2 years ago), I've always looked forward to summer. Not because of the outings. Not because of the sunshine. Not because school's out (which I am not affected by anyway).

It's because that's usually the time when I get to do stuff outside of work such as baking (or what looks like it), cleaning, organizing, playing with Yuri, and thinking of summer activities we can do together. This is because during this time (around May-ish), the essays on our queue start to decrease until they go down to zero. In other words, free time.

Our summer reading list - unread (and messy)

This year, though, the situation is different. Even when it's already mid-June (oh my, it is already?!), there are still so many essays on the queue. This means a lot of students are still submitting essays. And this is great! Because many essays = salary. I forgot to tell you that no work equates to no pay, too. However, I can't help but think of the things I planned to do for summer that I never got to do. Here they are:

1. The Moon Sand and Moon Dough Project

I've had the materials ready for quite some time now. I have a bag of cornstarch, flour, food coloring, and this:
Stolen borrowed sand

Yup, that's half a bucket of sand that we shamelessly stole got from Costa Marina. It was a good thing my cousins were there; they did the dirty job for me. Hahaha!

As I was saying, the materials are ready. The only thing missing is me actually mixing the stuff together. Ugh! I need to find time to make these before the weather starts becoming seriously rainy.



2. Laundry

I have a confession to make: all my clothes are laundered at a laundry shop. No one in the family has time (or strength) to wash clothes anymore so we opt for convenience. I'm sorry; I'm no super mom!

But for more "delicate" stuff like underwear, we personally wash them - duuuh. While I do wash the "other kind of underwear" everyday, I have a growing pile of "bra mountain" hidden behind my bags. No photos for your sanity.

Must. Tackle. Them. ASAP.

Must. Not. Be. Gross.

3. Cook and Bake. Or something like that.

I've been pocketing recipes from all over the web, recipes that I want to try for Yuri. Never mind the fact that I don't cook or bake.
The first cakes I ever "baked."

Well, I did actually. The lazy version of baking that is. And it's been a long time since I made something in the kitchen (other than juices and smoothies) that I'm itching to let out the domesticated (tamed?) diva in me. Especially now that our stove and oven are finally repaired!

4. Fix, Organize, and Purge

I have a growing mental list of things that I (1) need to sew, (2) need to "Mighty Bond," (3) need to arrange, (4) need to clean, (5) need to keep, and (6) need to throw.

Whew! Just writing those made me tired!
Yuri's stuff that I need to either keep or purge. Those are biiig boxes.

Okay, so of all the things I listed, I have yet to do a single thing. The clothes are still torn. More toys are in need of fixing. Yuri's closet is still a mess (not that messy but not pristine either). My new computer still doesn't have all the files in my old one. I haven't kept Yuri's outgrown stuff yet (who needs toddler shoes?), and I haven't thrown away all of his plastic feeding stuff yet.

Gee, once I get the "free time," I'm going to be so busy. I could just imagine!

5. Blog Rebranding

As I mentioned here, I am planning to rebrand my blog. Wala lang, I just want it to become a more personal reflection of who I am. Here's the thing. I already have my blog pegs. I already outlined my preferred layout. I have come up with a new blog title and categories. I already even commissioned talked to one of my best friends, Teena, who will do the redesign for me.

Oh yes. No more DIY for me. Hahaha!

But! Both Teena and I are still so busy with work. I want to fast-forward time!

................

So those are the things I wasn't able to accomplish last summer. And those are only the major ones. I still have little chores to do like fixing my old blog posts, drafting new ones, buying new electric fan covers (oh, wait, I can do that now), and more.

Boy, how I wish this month and the next are still summer!
Good thing this boy is not going to school yet!

But on a serious note, that's because I need to prioritize working because I know the essays are not going to be always there. Sooner or later, the students will take a vacation - and take my salary with them! No work, no pay, diba?

In retrospect, I think God meant for me to work really hard last summer. After all, our emergency fund(s) were used up and we need to start saving money once again. There are also more expenses this year. So, looking back, working was just the perfect way to spend my summer!

Photo: http://www.onlythebible.com/

What a very very apt proverb!

But I still am very excited to tackle my pending projects though!

What about you? Was your summer more productive and active than mine? I hope it was! :-)


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...