May 14, 2014

My Toddler Beach Trip Checklist


I know it's the middle of May, and I know (if you're in Davao, too) that the weather has turned from ultra sunny to rainy-now-and-then, but in the Philippines, it's always summer so I'm gonna go ahead and post this checklist anyway.

Actually, I prepared this post a month ago but failed to write a draft due to #brownoutproblems. And sayang naman ang photos. And we're bound for another beach trip naman so...

Anyway, if you're Filipino like me, going to the beach is no alien task. That's because anywhere you go in the city, the nearest beach is just a few minutes away. I still could remember my high school and college days when we'd go off to a beach-trip when classes are cancelled or the professor/teacher is away. It's literally pack your bags and yourselves and go!

However, I found out (not in the hard way) that going to the beach with a toddler in tow is completely different. Before, I only needed my phone, a towel, and some extra clothes and I'm good to go. I didn't even bother bringing sunblock then (my negrita photos will prove it), and I didn't care.

Now, it took me a couple of shopping trips just to complete Yuri's stuff for his first trip to the beach - and it was just a daytrip! If I could pull off going to the beach bringing just myself, it wouldn't work with a toddler because there are so many possibilities to prepare for and risks to avoid.

If you're like me who have a toddler and want to pack everything but not overpack, I'll try to help you by showing the most essential stuff I brought to Yuri's first beach trip:

1. Sunblock


First is, of course, sunblock! Evidently, one sunblock isn't enough for our company of 5 1/2 (you know who the 1/2 is hehe). In fact, Yuri gets the biggest share of sunblock because he has the most sensitive skin among us.

At first, I wanted to buy organic sunblock, but I didn't pursue it because they usually are more expensive and they don't provide as much protection as the commercially-available ones. I know that SPF 15 blocks 94% of sunblock, but somehow, I can't imagine wearing SPF 60 on my skin and only SPF 15 on my son's. At the beach. In the Philippines. During the summer.

How about you? What brand of sunblock are you use for you and for your little ones?

2. Skin Protection Kit



As a praning mother, I also had to be prepared for all kinds of things that could happen on the beach knowing that our beaches in Samal Island have a lot of "creatures" in the waters. I brought different insect repellent lotions (which I didn't get to use because there were no mosquitoes where we went - but you couldn't be sure), baby balm for nicks and small wounds, and lotion to soothe the skin after bathing.

3. Powder



Here's a trick I learned from a parenting blog: bring powder to the beach. I can't believe I didn't know about it before. What's the powder for? Did you ever experience having stubborn sand sticking to your legs and feet after washing them with water? Just apply a bit of powder of them, dust them off, and voila! Sand-free legs!

4. Water



It is very important to stay hydrated whenever you leave the house. One reason why my bag is always heavy is because I bring a bottle or two of water!

Note: We are not using plastic bottles anymore. Yuri is using the stainless steel KidBasix Safe Sporter bottle.

4. Aqua Shoes



If you must know, I originally wanted to buy a pair of Saltwater Sandals for Yuri. I still want to, of course, but it's not practical to buy a pair right now. First, it's not exactly affordable (around P2k), and second, there are no stores selling them in Davao City. For that price, I couldn't compromise buying online. Baka di pa magkasya. Job promised me that he'll buy a pair once Yuri starts school... Hmm...

Anyway, I bought Yuri a pair of aqua shoes (this is a cheap pair from SM) because I believe flipflops are not tough enough for waves and corals.

5. Rash Guard



Seriously, I didn't know about rash guards before I became mom to a toddler. Before, I thought only surfers would wear these stuff hehe. Then, I realized that they would be really helpful in providing extra protection to a young child's sensitive skin.

I know there are rash guards with SPF on them, but the grandparents were the one who bought the Batman one above and they didn't know about these kinds of rash guards. I think their only criterion was cuteness and design. Because of that, I just doubled on the sunblock and made sure to reapply every hour or two. In terms of protection, this rash guard was able to give that because Yuri didn't develop any rashes despite having eczema.

6. Beach Toys



Finally, toys! After all, your goal is to have fun, right? I brought all of these deflated and just brought the air pump with us so that they're not too bulky inside the bag. These are cheap toys because I have a feeling I would be buying new ones next year anyway especially the life-vest that fits Yuri snugly.

If your kid is anything like mine, the toy he used the most was the sand bucket and shovel. He had loads of fun playing with these and the sand; he couldn't be disturbed! Thanks, Ninang Sarah, for this gift! :-)


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...