December 9, 2014

Ruby

It seems like I always find myself writing about one typhoon per year.

2012, I wrote about Pablo. It was a very nerve-wracking moment for me because it hit Mindanao. I recall we had our share of storm here but the worst part of the experience was when I wasn't able to reach Job for, I think, 2 days. I was so afraid! It turns out they lost electricity and he just couldn't get his phone charged. He was also living in a different post of Surigao during that time and experienced going to an evacuation center because he was staying in a house near the coast (for work).

2013, there was Yolanda, a name that would forever live in infamy. I remember that we experienced stormy weather although it wasn't anywhere near what Visayas experienced. Until today, affected people still need help, and then another typhoon came along.

2014, we have Ruby. With an international name like Hagupit, one can't help but feel afraid. But God is good. First, I believe every province that is bound to be affected is prepared for the typhoon. Second, it had consistently weakened and lowered in level.

Job, who lives in Surigao (del Sur), the province that almost every storm inevitably hits first, told me they already packed their things and were ready to go to a little farm that they have, located in a higher area. However, nothing but sunny weather greeted them. The same happened here in Davao City. Not once did it rain and not once did the temperature even drop. Praise God!
Sadly, I can't say the same for Visayas. Unlike here, many properties have been damaged. It's heartbreaking to see houses built by recovering Yolanda survivors torn apart by another storm. There are still casualties, a few as reported but still casualties nonetheless. But I dare to say that the preparedness of provinces this year prevented what could have been a higher number.

The typhoon is currently in Luzon now and we're still praying that it wouldn't do so much damage. To friends in Metro Manila and Luzon, keep safe!

Now it is easy to say that if God can answer prayers and control the storms, why was Yolanda's case different? Why did thousands of people have to die in its wake?

Frankly, I don't know why. My limited understanding couldn't answer that; only God can. All I know is that he's sovereign and knows what he's doing. However, I can say that we learned so much from last year's tragedy and have come a long way in terms of understanding storms and preparing for them. For all its worth, I think this counts.


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...