February 27, 2015

Going Korean at Korea Town and Arirang (Plus A Dragon Up Close!)

Last week, during the Chinese New Year, my friends and I decided to get together and eat lunch somewhere. Chinese would have been an ideal and fun option (though none of us is Chinese) just to "belong." However, we also thought Chinese restaurants would be full on CNY, so we decided on another Asian cuisine instead: Korean.

PART 1 - KOREA TOWN
Photo from JM's phone
The kids were given big glasses of iced tea on the house. Thank you!

My friend, Christine, knew of a place that serves cheap but yummy Korean dishes, and we gave it a try. It's Korea Town, which can be found among the cluster of restaurants in Victoria Plaza's parking lot.

Yuri and I were the first to arrive, and because it was only my second time to go Korean in a genuine Korean restaurant, I was quite taken aback when everyone, including the lady whom I presumed to be the owner, bowed down and said "Annyeonghaseyo!"

Being the smooth, cultured woman that I am, I sheepishly waved my hands and said, "Hello." Then I avoided eye contact and darted into the nearest table.

Let's not focus on that part of the meal.

The first thing I love about Korean dishes is the free side dishes. I love kimchi (I have
a steady supply at home) and I live on sweet potato. Come to think of it, I can thrive on Korean side dishes alone!

I took this photo when we were almost finished eating the side dishes harhar

The second thing I love is the yummy-ness of the food. I've never eaten Korean food that I didn't like, and I'm referring not only to restaurants but also home-cooked meals of Korean students whom I used to tutor back in college.

Let's give Korea Town a verdict:

CUSTOMER SERVICE

I don't have any complaints about the staff at all! They were all very attentive, even the owner. In fact, again, the owner gave Yuri and Andrei iced tea on the house. Also, our waitress was not only lovely and pleasant by also clearly knowledgeable about Korean fare. Which should be expected, but some places still employ clueless staff.

FOOD

Okay, I may not know the names of everything that we (actually, just Christine) ordered, but I found everything yummy. My favorite is the omelet-like dish made of eggs and kimchi. What do you call that?

EDIT: George says it's called "Haemul Pajeon."

Haemul Pajeon

Bibimbap

Chap chae / Jap chae


Samgyeopsal

PLACE

The place is simple and almost like a hole-in-the-wall, but it's clean and well-maintained. I have never been to Korea, but it felt like I was eating in a real eatery in the country.

PRICE

I couldn't believe we ate filling Korean fare for only a little over P1000! Take note that there were 5 of us hungry ladies and 2 little boys. I imagine 2 people wouldn't have to spend over 300. It's so cheap considering how satisfying their food was!

Oh, and also, they have Korean buffet every 15th and 30th of the month. For 350/head. Seriously?

PART 2 - DRAGON DANCE

When the boys were getting to rowdy and a Korean man was already getting annoyed by the ruckus (I understood; his baby was trying to sleep), we decided that it was time to bail and go to Arirang, a small Korean grocery also at the parking lot, for "dessert." But when we got outside, we were met by this sight:




At first, Yuri was enjoying the show, but when the dragon moved closer, he started to cry. I thought he was afraid of the dragon's face. Later, he confided to me that he was scared of the sticks that propped the dragon up. Um, okay. (I know he doesn't like loud music, though.)

PART 3 - ARIRANG


After the dragon dance, we finally moved on and went to Arirang. No, not the TV channel. It's a little grocery that serves everything Korean. Christine treated us to ice cream, and here's what I got for Yuri and myself:
However, I ended up eating almost the entire thing because the boy wasn't in the mood. The funny thing is that I kept eating it like soft-serve ice cream from a cone i.e. licking it. When the ice cream "level" went below the cup level, I couldn't lick it anymore and started to ask the store attendant for a spoon.

He pointed to the red base of my ice cream cup, told me a spoon was inside the small space, and successfully avoided laughing at me. Whew.

The ice cream itself was sooo yummy. The top part was strawberry ice cream, while the bottom is made up of strawberry yogurt. I kept looking for it at other grocery stores, but, unfortunately, it seems to be exclusively distributed by Arirang here. Sayang. Oh well, let me know if you happen to find it. It's P75 per cup, by the way.

After that and more chikahan, Yuri and I went to the grocery and I'll already spare you the details. I guess this is pretty much it!


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...