June 17, 2014

My 2-Year Old Says No to Plastic!

I mean, can't you see the agitation in his face?!
That's not a yellow tooth; that's a piece of a pretzel. Okay?

Well, technically, it's not my toddler, Yuri, who said no to plastic. It's his mom. *meekly raises hands*

Okay, I've begun the switch to glass first when I asked for this Snapware Glass Bottle from one of my best friends, George, and second, when I ordered a couple of mason jars.
Spot the plastic Tupperware at the back
This photo made me miss summer!

So you see, I was happily drinking from glass bottles and glass jars - while my own little boy was drinking from his plastic cups. Well, you need to know that I was woefully uninformed; I thought that as long as the cup (or any utensil for that matter) was labeled BPA-free, it was okay.

However, after reading this article one night, I learned that BPA was not the only harmful chemical found in plastic ware. And it makes sense! After all, just how many chemicals are involved in the production of plastic? There's a lot of questions regarding the estrogenic materials found in many baby and toddler products, and that's doubly harmful because these chemicals can seriously wreak havoc in a little body.

Suffice to say, after reading and informing myself about the dangers of plastic, I couldn't sleep. It was just too scary. I know I had to replace Yuri's plastic feeding utensils ASAP!



I originally planned to buy a stainless steel cup for home use and a stainless steel bottle for on-the-go use. However, I only know of the Tramontina brand for the former, and a little Tramontina cup costs P650. Ugh ang mahal! So while I'm nervous about it, I decided to let Yuri use glass (just for home use) once and for all. The next day, I found myself browsing the same Instagram account where I first bought my mason jars. I bought these:
These are glass milk jars that are relatively cheap and relatively small, which I think is just perfect for a little boy. I initially wanted to buy his own mason jar, but it's his first time to drink from a glass bottle, so I opted for the more affordable option. At least it wouldn't be so heartbreaking if it breaks!

And I think they look cute with milk in them. Okay.

There are four bottles in a set; one of the bottles is being used by Yuri now. I don't intend to use it for a long time; it's just for "training" purposes, and so far, he's doing great!

Aside from the bottles above, I also had to buy this latch-lid jar:
This is a 500-ml Bormiolli Rocco jar. Don't be fooled by the photo. It is bigger than what I expected! It's also heavy, which goes to show just how thick its glass is!

What did I do with the bottle? As I said, it's a relatively cheap bottle, and I honestly don't think it would be able to handle toddler roughhousing. However, I think it's nice to use it to practice toddlers and young children and transition them from plastic to glass. To break the fall (if ever), I wrapped one of the bottles in --- bubble wrap!

Yes, I know it doesn't look attractive, but it serves its purpose. A bonus function is that it is able to insulate the bottle, which made Yuri's chocolate soymilk remain cold. Nice! Here's his breakfast, by the way:
Not in photo: cookies and eggs (just so you wouldn't think Yuri is on a diet)

The bottle, as I mentioned, is completely wrapped in bubble-wrap save for its head. The purple paper straw saved its aesthetics (purple seems to be the boy's favorite color now), but I think I need to invest in a stainless steel one. He keeps biting the straw, turning it into mush!

On the other hand, the glass bowl is not new; I've been using it for a long time, and so far so good. The stainless steel spoon is actually a kutsarita from an unused set here at home. It's only the drinking cups and bottles that I'm kind of worried about since Yuri uses them more often than feeding utensils. Once Yuri gets the hang of it, though, I'll give him his own mason jar!

PS: As for the stainless steel on-the-go bottle, I have finally chosen a brand and am in the process of ordering it. I will blog about it as soon as I get it! I'm excited!

EDIT: Here it is - my review of our Kid Basix Safe Sporter Stainless Steel Bottle!

PPS: I know that stainless steel and glass products are more expensive than their plastic counterparts, but I'm not here for the capricho. I think my son's health (as well as his future children's) is more important than shelling out a few hundred pesos.


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...