January 22, 2013

Y's Pick: Fruit Porridge

Y eats a lot of fruit, which is very good for his immune system. Mango used to be his favorite, until we realized he's allergic to it. One evening, as I was feeding him mangoes for dinner, I noticed there were red rashes around his mouth. Later, his whole face began to turn red. The next morning, I fed him mangoes again for breakfast (makulit?), just to be sure that the mangoes were the cause of his irritation. Sure enough, the red rashes appeared again.

Nevertheless, we didn't have problems with other fruits. Y eats whatever I feed him, but he clearly prefers fruits. While I would love to give him fruit all the time, I was afraid it wouldn't give him the energy he needs as a growing baby. So I decided to just mix fruit and carbohydrates: rice, cereal, potatoes, etc.

For example, last Christmas season, we had a lot of apples. That was also the time when I first bought Nutri-del cereal. I mixed the two and, voila, fruit porridge! Here's what I did:


Ingredients and tools: An apple (of course), rice cereal (we use Nutri-Del), a knife, and a grater (not in photo), and a clean feeding bowl

The apple juice was actually unnecessary, but it was already on the table, so I included it in the photo. Hahaha!


First, cut the apple into half. A small apple can already produce a lot of "mush," and it can be too much for my 9-month old. However, please use as much as you want. :-)

Do you see that red "thing" in the foreground of the photo? That's what happens when you sterilize and boil a Tupperware bowl. I learned the hard way. Hahaha! Thankfully, it's still usable.


Second, grate the apple to produce very fine shreds of fruit. Make sure you grate everything and check for large pieces that can cause choking.

What happened to the other half? *burp* Oops!


This is what the apple mush looks like. As you can see, it's already very watery, so I didn't find a need to add water.


To make the apple mush more filling, I added cereal into it. 

Please forgive my blurred hand in the photo. I took the photos on self-timer, and I was captured mid-movement, and I was too lazy to take another photo...


Here's the mixture before it was mixed. Just mix, mix, mix until the mixture is smooth. If you want to make the mixture fuller, just add more cereal until you reach your desired consistency.

(Desired consistency? Chos!)


Ta-da! Ready to be eaten and to nourish!


I also added his dose of Vitamin C into the porridge because I wasn't able to give him any for that day yet. Also, it adds more flavor into the meal!

Y is able to finish a bowl of apple porridge in less than 5 minutes! I fed him this for three days (to test if he's allergic to apples), and when he passed the test, I tried to see what else would work. Here are my other "concoctions":

Squash
Carrots
Papaya!*tururururut! tururururut! tutu turururut!*
Wait, they all look the same. Here's avocado to break the combo:

Creamy avocado
PS: I know you already know this, but as a reminder, don't forget to wash the apple and all the utensils first!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...