November 17, 2014

My Pursuit of Happiness

Hello, I'm back!

*kru kru kru*

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

So I had a blogging hiatus. I felt so down last week not only because of a friend's death but also because my words were mocked in an article that opposed my view.

I wanted to copy the words here (and cite the author, of course) but decided against it at the last minute. I don't want to link to it, but most importantly, I don't want to read my blog in the future and have to read her words again. The author, who is a professor pa naman from UP Mindanao, lifted my words from my post, Let Me Grieve, and didn't even credit me, to show everyone that some people's priorities are askew.

Apparently, according to that author, I am one of those people.

To tell you the truth, I got so mad. Even now when I attempted to copy what she wrote, I got a little miffed again. I get it. I understand that she thinks the NPA movement is noble. She and I have different views. But do I have to get mocked for her to deliver her sentiments? As a writer who speaks out her mind (more than what is necessary), I will never go as low as that.

More importantly, she didn't have to belittle my faith. She didn't know what conversations I had with Perper about it. She didn't even know Perper in the first place! I never directed offense at anyone in my post, so why was I getting attacked?
Source: bible-quote.deviantart.com

But you know what, the article, despite being offensive, made me think. Am I really pursuing meaningless happiness? Here are the things I wrote that I think my friend - and everyone - deserved:

1. Career

I don't mean an office career. Be it a corporate job, a business, or being a homemaker, I believe everyone should be in active pursuit of a "job" that will make them of service to their fellow man.

2. Family

There are some people who are not meant to form a family because they are called to a life of single blessedness. I believe they will form a different kind of family, too. But for the rest of us, marrying and starting a family are worthwhile pursuits as it is God's plan, it teaches us a lot (as in a LOT) of lessons, and it gives us a deeper kind of happiness that involves selflessness.

3. God

Finally, pursuit of God is the most ultimate of all pursuits. I believe everyone deserves a reconciliation with the Lord. I think the author got ticked off by this and implied that I believe fighters are "godless heathens" (author's words). I never said it even implied that. The truth is most of us have been separated from Him at one point of anther. In my case, I spent my college years being atheistic, but I was blessed to have reconciled with the Lord a few months after graduating.

Happiness doesn't even cut it. You don't pursue happiness to find God. You find God and then find happiness. Not everyone gets to do it so, yes, an untimely death without the chance for reconciliation is sayang.

I know that not everyone will agree. Some will think that what Perper and the others did are worthwhile pursuits. But with all due respect, as someone whose close relative was once called Ka Gingging by her comrades, I beg to differ.

I'm tempted to say that some are just agreeing with the notion of fighting but wouldn't think of fighting themselves. That's hypocrisy, if you ask me. In the Christian view, no Christian can pledge his life to Jesus and expect not to join the fight. If you're a Christian, you would have to expect to be attacked for your faith. More often than not, guns are not involved, but spiritual warfare, especially when you go against what is popular, is also difficult.
The author also said something about pursuing "little joys," (author's words) a not-so-subtle play on my blog's title. Again, I bring up the question. Am I pursuing meaningless and shallow joys?

Yes, I love to shop. I love to buy my toddler stuff. I am not different from most mothers, but that is not my defense. My defense is that I don't do it often, and the amount I spend on shopping doesn't even come close to the amount I spend on giving.

I am reminded of that because a few moments after I read the article, I got a call from an organization I support, World Vision. I got a call about the children I support and my additional giving. If I don't broadcast it in my blog, it's because I don't feel the need to. However, I want to tell you that all of us have the responsibility to bless others through giving. As opposed to fighting to change the national system, I believe it's more doable to change lives one soul at a time.

It doesn't paint the same sacrificial picture as fighting in the mountains, but if someone says my way of service is useless, for me, it would mean that the education of a few children is useless. It would also mean that helping uplift even a few families is useless. Are they?

Finally, I hope the writer of that article realizes that I am not the naive girl she thinks I am. She has no idea. Yes, I have my own ways of living and serving because I am a Christian, but being different from them doesn't make me wrong. My beliefs and acts of service don't deserve to be mocked in any way.
Source: http://michellenezat.com

Now that I let all of the pent-up emotions out, I say we're back to regular programming. Not to spite anyone or something haha, but I'll be sharing my recent shopping finds from Sunday next! :-)

_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...