June 29, 2013

4 Not-So-Typical Uses For Your Baby Monitor

I'm contemplating on buying a baby monitor. I used to think we didn't need it, but I guess that was the case when Y was still a newborn. However, today, it is a different case. The young one is now beginning to explore and even though I want to stick to Y like glue all the time, I can't.

The desire actually sparked when I first read this post. I realized that a baby monitor could actually be useful, especially when we're ready to move to a new house and Y is already a "full-blown" toddler. Kailangan mag-ipon! Hahaha!

Now, I just read an article about the other uses of baby monitors. I'm even more convinced! To know what these four "not-so-typical" uses are, please read the guest post below by fellow mom, Karen:
__________________

I loved my baby monitor when my boys were newborns. Then I didn't need to make sure I could hear them all night after they were sleeping through the night. But I am never one to sell anything before I make sure I cannot use it for something else. Let me tell you, I probably use my baby monitor more now than I every used to when my boys were babies! Here are my 5 not-so-typical favorite uses for our baby monitor.

1. Listening to my children. I love my relatives and friends to bring their kids over to play with our kiddos. But sometimes, those children are allowed to say some things that we don't want our kids saying. My solution? Put the baby monitor receiver in the playroom! I can go to my bedroom to "use the restroom" and make sure everyone is playing well and not being mean or rude. This way, I can even address language that isn't completely terrible later on after the friends leave and make sure my kids understand those are words we don't use in our home.

2. Sunbathing in peace. I did this all the time when I had one baby, but now, I like to still have a little alone time out in the backyard to soak in some rays in peace and quiet. My older son just lays down for rest time, but sometimes he gets an idea in his head that he can get up out of bed and play games if I am outside and busy. With the baby monitor, I can make sure he is at least resting quietly and not up and around when he should be laying down. Also, if anything happens to either child while I am outside, I can make sure I am able to go inside and help them immediately.

Photo: commons.wikimedia.org
3. Washing machine notifier. Unless you have a new, ultra fancy washing machine, it probably does not have a beeper that sounds when it is finished like your dryer does. I have learned to find a way around that! I just put my baby monitor receiver next to the washing machine and turn it pretty loud, so when the washing machine is finished, my monitor goes noticeably silent. Nothing is nastier than a mildewed load of laundry sitting in your washing machine!

4. Burglar monitoring. This has been our most useful use for our baby monitor. Our monitor is actually through Allen home security, and it has a video feed that we can access 24/7 through any wireless device or smartphone. So even when we are not home, from anywhere in the world we can view our house and make sure everything inside is safe and sound. Even when we are home, we have our smartphone in hand and can always watch the video feed in the kid's playroom or bedrooms. Burglars know our house is armed and has video surveillance with our home security, so that is one extra level of protection to keep our house as safe as possible.

Get your baby monitor out of closet and start using it creatively around your house. Thanks so much for reading, and please comment below with your unconventional use for your baby monitor!


Author bio: Karen is a work from home mom of two busy boys who works hard to always be more healthy, safe, fun, and frugal!


Disclaimer: This is a paid guest post.


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...