September 10, 2014

My Expo Mom 2014 Fun Finds

I try my best to be a wise shopper. If I pass by a clothing store sale, I can easily ignore it. Promise.

But I have two shopping weaknesses: food and kid's stuff. Biglang bumababa ang financial IQ ko jan. So when I received an email last week about Expo Mom coming to Davao, I knew I had to mentally prepare myself to practice restraint. Haha!

Looking back, it was a good thing that there weren't too many booths so it was not so overwhelming. Because of that, I was able to examine all products and decide 3x whether I absolutely needed to buy them or not. Which was not hard because I came with a checklist!

Yes, ako na ang prepared. Anyway, I promised to talk about my finds today so here they are:

1. Kiele Anti-Mosquito Cologne

Upon entering the expo, I made a beeline to Kiele's booth for two reasons. First, our last bottle of GIGA insect repellent is almost gone, and second, I'm curious to use a good-smelling repellent. Relate?
A bottle costs P199

Verdict: Woah I didn't know a mosquito repellent could smell this nice! And the scent lasts long ha; in fact, you can use it as an actual perfume. As for its mosquito repelling power, I'm glad to report that Yuri hasn't gotten bites since he used it last Sunday. I'm definitely buying this again!

2. Human Heart Nature Loot

After crossing bug repellent off my list, my next agendum was to look for toddler-friendly sunblock, preferably natural. Since I didn't find any in the other booths, I went na to the Human Heart Nature Booth.

But the attendant told me na naubos na daw yung sunblock during the first day of the expo. Huhuhu. So I only bought these instead:
Shampoo and Body Wash for Kids - P129.75
Peppermint Conditioner - P144.75
Hand Sanitizer - P59.75

Verdict: As usual, Human Heart Nature almost never fails me. Everything in my loot smells wonderfully fresh, and the conditioner made my hair softer (flips hair ala Julia Barretto - wait, does she flip her hair in the commercial? I'm clueless).

Yuri likes his shampoo and body wash because of the car on the label. The scent is good although a bit reminiscent of HHN's dishwashing liquid. To Yuri's chagrin, it doesn't produce bubbles, which is typical of natural products.

I'm a fan of HHN products so I'll definitely be buying again!

3. Cool Science Experiments

Next, I gleefully skipped toward my next target: books! However, I just bought several books last weekend from Book Sale, so I could only pick one.

I think I've already mentioned before that Yuri definitely is showing interest in science already. Next year, when we homeschool, I plan to include simple science experiments, but the experiment books I found on bookdepository.com (you're welcome) are quite pricey, around $35 -$50.

So when I saw this book, I knew I had to get it.
P350

Verdict: Obviously, we haven't used the book yet. However, I read it at home and saw how simple but clear the experiments are. Perfect for a WAHM like me who doesn't have time to setup a lab! I also like the clear division between the branches of science. Learning about science is never too early!
Plus, I searched for the title on Google and saw that used copies are priced at $10+ and new copies are $20+ on Book Depository. Mine is brand new and only $8. Gah I feel blessed.

(By the way, the booth's website is learningisfun.com.ph. You're welcome.)

4. Oreo Butter by Zhaun

I was about to pick Yuri and my sister up from the play area, but I passed through this particular booth. I know it's not a need at all, but I saw the words "Oreo" and "butter" in a single label so I knew I need to buy it. Also, I found the seller funny and friendly; I was sold.
P200

Verdict: Sweet and delectable. I like how the taste of Oreos is the highlight, not sugar or sweetener. Oh, and we never used it on bread. We grabbed spoons and ate it straight out of the jar. My total comfort food! Good luck sa calories!


Other Notable Products that I Didn't Buy

Like what I said last time, many things caught my eye but I only bought what I absolutely needed. Here they are:?

1. Havaianas for kids at 20% off

I never did truly care for flipflops. Well, I did, back in college, and I'm so over it now, so I didn't buy a pair. Besides, I will never let Yuri wear flipflops naman to the mall. Also, I'd rather patronize locally-made goods.

2. Grandma's Secret Spot Remover

I have been curious about this since 2012, but I truly don't have any use for it pa. Besides, I can always order it online.

3. Paleo Palate desserts and Kai artisan chocolates

I pondered over these for a long time. I ended up not buying the paleo desserts kasi baka walang kumain. I don't know how they taste eh. I didn't buy the artisan chocolates, too, because they were too dainty for my taste. Just give us M&Ms.

4. Whizzy Wind-ups (A board book with a race car and race track)

In the same booth as where I bought the Science book, I saw this cool-looking book with a car and a track. I know Yuri would go crazy over it; however, I don't like him using his books as toys and this kinda defeats the purpose. (This is available on their website, too.)
See what I mean?
5. Jooma Jam CDs

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think these were educational music CDs in English and Filipino? To be honest, I was really interested, but then I remembered the stack of CDs we never got to listen to. Maybe I'll order it (or some) next year. (Website is joomajam.com)


What I Wish Were Sold at the Expo

1. Natural sunblock!!!
2. Clothes for boys (only clothes for girls were there)
3. Wooden toys and manipulatives
4. Messy Bessy (which was available in the Bacolod expo huhu)
5. More educational sfuff like tools for arts and crafts, etc.


With that said, I hope there'd be another expo next year (or even this year!) - a bigger one! :-)


_________________________________________________________________
Do you like this post? Never miss out again when you click on the cute bunny below:

rss_bunny

Or by entering your email here:
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

You can also follow me on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest for daily updates on my mundane musings.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...